GAP insurance

ilovemyheckler

It’s worth it although I haven’t got it.

A Vw rep I know sold it last year (2018 not 2019) :) to 80 people buying golf gti/gtd/gte and he said 100% had to claim for theft . They all got a the full amount to buy brand new again where they might of been a few grand short. 
Another thing worth looking at is the service package. £500 usually for 3 years . If you clock the miles it’ll save you loads.

Write offs are so rare that this is an unnecessary add-on unless the salesman is desperate to sell the car and chucks it in 'free'. Wife and I have 90+ years of driving and have never had a fault claim so salesmen struggle to sell to us although on one deal; an unregistered car where a newer model was already on sale we got £5k off the OTR price plus he chucked in wheel/tyre cover, GAP and paintwork insurance. The only slight dodgy element was a warranty that commenced when car manufactured which was 6 months prior to date it was registered. 

10 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Write offs are so rare that this is an unnecessary add-on unless the salesman is desperate to sell the car and chucks it in 'free'. Wife and I have 90+ years of driving and have never had a fault claim so salesmen struggle to sell to us although on one deal; an unregistered car where a newer model was already on sale we got £5k off the OTR price plus he chucked in wheel/tyre cover, GAP and paintwork insurance. The only slight dodgy element was a warranty that commenced when car manufactured which was 6 months prior to date it was registered. 

You can drive like ms daisy but if someone hits you it’s game over. Write offs are more common now I’d say due to crumple zones. 
The most common thing now is being stolen if you have a nice car. My mates a copper and has said to me that every rs4 /6 will be stolen at some point in its life. Golfs are stripped for parts esp gti’s 

One off fee. 

Buy a car for £25,000 on finance, for example, in two years time the car is worth £20,000 (again for example) but you have £22,500 left to pay off your finance leaving you in negative equity. 

your insurers will give you the current market value of the car at the time of write off but you still have X amount on finance to fund yourself - GAP insurance bridges the ‘gap’ and gives you the difference to make up to what you bought your vehicle for initially. 

Thats my understanding of it anyway. 

If you’re Vehicle is on finance and it gets written off and you’re in negative equity it can sting without GAP, basically. 

Dave 

If you are buying new it's also worth looking at a site like car wow or the like. I bought my wife's through it and part exchanged another. I was able to get the price I wanted for my sale and a very substantial discount off the new car. It's a buyers market (unless you want a new Jimney) and there are good discounts to be had. 

The site's are easy to use and effectively allow dealers to bid for your business rather like an auction.