Dash Cam Warning

Davyo

Mate has had letter from insurance company re his accident he recorded on his next base.Although it aided him in his claim the other party has put in claim about privacy infringement because he wasn't displaying stickers on the car to comply with DPA or something.

I run front and rear Nextbase in both my cars and today will be making sure the supplied stickers are put on the cars.

5 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Mate has had letter from insurance company re his accident he recorded on his next base.Although it aided him in his claim the other party has put in claim about privacy infringement because he wasn't displaying stickers on the car to comply with DPA or something.

I run front and rear Nextbase in both my cars and today will be making sure the supplied stickers are put on the cars.

Good shout Davyo, Better get mine stickered up..

Edited by Snoozer

15 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Jesus Christ really ! So the guilty party is now the injured party would stickers of stooped the incident in the first place ? 

11 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Jesus Christ really ! So the guilty party is now the injured party would stickers of stooped the incident in the first place ? 

Thing I like about cams,especially in the rear of the car is 'once they clock it the majority back off immediately'

Just put our stickers 10 minutes ago.Funny how we just put stuff away,its in the box for a reason just didn't read the small print 

10 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Unless the law has changed you have no right to privacy in a public place.

I used to take pictures for a library and as long as in a public place I was safe.

Yer but I bet some Snowflake will claim Privacy within the confines of his vehicle saying it's an extension of his house or some such S**** :sneaky2:

3 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Thing I like about cams,especially in the rear of the car is 'once they clock it the majority back off immediately'

Just put our stickers 10 minutes ago.Funny how we just put stuff away,its in the box for a reason just didn't read the small print 

Many thanks for posting. I take Dunks' point, but............

I fiited F&R Nextbase when I got the car and got some stickers which I used. I was totally ignorant of any law regarding the cam use and was wondering if drawing attention to the presence of them was a good idea so removed the stickers. Immediately your point about tail-gaters was again apparent so the back one was replaced. Now just nipping out to re-do the front. 👍

Nope sorry but a load of tosh. You may film whatever is happening OUTSIDE your car at any time. No privacy law.

What you must not do is film occupants inside your vehicle without displaying a sticker to inform them. ie. inside a bus or PSV.

Celebrities are filmed when inside their own vehicles all the time. Even royalty. 

Reminds me of the guy currently sueing my son for "hurt feelings". He was sacked by my son following multiple at fault accidents and subsequently lost his case for unfair dismissal.  He's now sueing for hurt feelings following his dismissal and lost case!

My son installed dash cams in all his lorries and uses them in court to prove not at fault. Never had any come back on camera footage infringing privacy.

Sounds like he's trying it on, just be careful he doesn't sue for hurt feelings because he loses. 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Or perhaps he was looking too closely? Lol! 😬

Ha!

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Reminds me of the guy currently sueing my son for "hurt feelings". He was sacked by my son following multiple at fault accidents and subsequently lost his case for unfair dismissal.  He's now sueing for hurt feelings following his dismissal and lost case!

My son installed dash cams in all his lorries and uses them in court to prove not at fault. Never had any come back on camera footage infringing privacy.

Sounds like he's trying it on, just be careful he doesn't sue for hurt feelings because he loses. 

Surely that will get thrown out of court! 

I hope so for your son's sake. What a waste of energy. 

The thing about GDPR etc is that it’s so new no one really knows what it’s all about and as a result there’s a whole load of BS floating about. Indeed, even the consultancy industry that has sprung up does nothing but spread BS and fear of some sort of GDPR transgression.

More often than not though the benefit of the recording (be that voice audio or video etc) will outweigh any data protection issues whether they be real or imaginary.