How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly in my areas I have had a sudden interest in food both on pheasant feeders and on my flip tops.  I don't have many beech trees, lots of oak and a good acorn crop and loads of hazel but I believe they have now run out of those and looking for easy pickings. I have seen an extra interest in those feeders laced with aniseed so will keep up ading that.

Had another good day out today and shot 10 at 2 sites with .410 and using a thermal. All very plump and well fed. The Beech mast is still inches thick in places. Yesterday, I had another  in a loan trap. That’s 25 shot and trapped in six days- not bad for January! This was over 5 woods, all with very large beeches.

Total 106

Awful day today, quite cool and miserable. Two of us set out hoping for double figures again. The first site usually yields at least 3 or 4 , we only saw one and a branch got in the way. Went home and put on a thicker jacket and went to my Favorite Hotel. Shot one in car park, but wedding photos in the gardens stopped us gaining access to the wood where we could see a grey. Just as we got in the wood, 12 lost Ramblers came out of these private woods and the grey was long gone. Entered the next wood and saw another pair of youngsters running about the canopy but they never stopped for a second and a safe shot was impossible. Finally went to  a caravan site closed for refurbishment. (I had shot 4 there on Wednesday) saw 2 tame roe deers but the greys which should have been hungry and plentiful, were lying low and the four feeders were untouched. Went home. Total 1 grey between two of us in seven hours - Should have stayed in bed!

Total 113

13 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Awful day today, quite cool and miserable. Two of us set out hoping for double figures again. The first site usually yields at least 3 or 4 , we only saw one and a branch got in the way. Went home and put on a thicker jacket and went to my Favorite Hotel. Shot one in car park, but wedding photos in the gardens stopped us gaining access to the wood where we could see a grey. Just as we got in the wood, 12 lost Ramblers came out of these private woods and the grey was long gone. Entered the next wood and saw another pair of youngsters running about the canopy but they never stopped for a second and a safe shot was impossible. Finally went to  a caravan site closed for refurbishment. (I had shot 4 there on Wednesday) saw 2 tame roe deers but the greys which should have been hungry and plentiful, were lying low and the four feeders were untouched. Went home. Total 1 grey between two of us in seven hours - Should have stayed in bed!

Total 113

It happens some days, still think you were better out than in bed! 😀

Last year I posted that I was looking for tails for fly tying as there has been a complete deline in grey squirrel numbers in my local area. Many thanks to Mick,Neville & Garnett for sending me on a lifetimes supply,a lot of which have been robbed by fishing friends who wanted some. I dried and dyed a lot with different colours so they were in demand!!

We used to have plenty of greys but I can honestly say that hand on heart I have  not seen a grey squirrel for about 2 years.On the flip side I have observed a massive increase in reds and judging what is killed on the road there has been an increase in pine martens also.

So to the point of my post,I was shooting woodcock on Fri and while waiting outside some cover I saw a grey in the tree above me.After getting over my surprise he was added to the bag.I am pleased to add him to the total but am pretty sure that I will not be a regular contributor!!

15 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Last year I posted that I was looking for tails for fly tying as there has been a complete deline in grey squirrel numbers in my local area. Many thanks to Mick,Neville & Garnett for sending me on a lifetimes supply,a lot of which have been robbed by fishing friends who wanted some. I dried and dyed a lot with different colours so they were in demand!!

We used to have plenty of greys but I can honestly say that hand on heart I have  not seen a grey squirrel for about 2 years.On the flip side I have observed a massive increase in reds and judging what is killed on the road there has been an increase in pine martens also.

So to the point of my post,I was shooting woodcock on Fri and while waiting outside some cover I saw a grey in the tree above me.After getting over my surprise he was added to the bag.I am pleased to add him to the total but am pretty sure that I will not be a regular contributor!!

At least the little grey ******* have some use

4 on feeder.

There's one that legs it on seeing my car and it doesn't return to the feeder whilst I'm present. 

I have a cunning plan but it will be 48 yard shot

( Sub 12 )

Drops no issue it's about getting the windage right. Have a wind flag not far from the feeder which is invaluable. 

Edited by Robertt
Typo oops!!

Err.............isn't 117 and 4  = 121............. just saying, so current total should be 125.

Was out topping the feeder up today and its empty so there's still some hungry little greys somewhere.

Unless the peanuts have been blown away, a bit like some of the trees, keep yer hat on!

17 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Err.............isn't 117 and 4  = 121............. just saying, so current total should be 125.

Was out topping the feeder up today and its empty so there's still some hungry little greys somewhere.

Unless the peanuts have been blown away, a bit like some of the trees, keep yer hat on!

Yep, Robert needs to go back to the chalk board:lol:

125  it is.