steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

@old man I've probably asked before,  what's in your feeders? 

Try putting suet block on your feeder, get the birds coming onto see if it peeks their interest. 

A mixture of sweet corn, peanuts, sunflower seeds and bird seed laced with a hint of aniseed.  I use peanut butter too.

No shortage of birds, wood pecker, nuthatch, tits etc.

The area is a shoot with all of the associated bird feeding and keeper activity. Squirrel very nervous of vehicles and people now, it's just how it is in a working area. Pretty sure there has been no education from me. 

I maybe need to look at feeder design if it doesn't settle when season over? Thinking on this already, they were very destructive when using feeders before. 

Will put some suet pellets in the mix next week, thanks for the tip,

I have been coating my peanuts and mixed corn with aniseed and it does appear they tuck in with more vigour. The main thing I have found is resting a feeder for a week after a heavy killing session often revitalises it and this is where trail cams are useful.  I have seven spots locally to me where I can monitor movement and keep feed topped up.   Two new spots have temporary hides/blinds until I am sure I can continually pull them in. The other five have permanent blinds made from pallets with waterproof roofs and comfy chairs and continue to pull in customers on a regular basis.  As old man says, using a mix of seeds also aids the local small bird population and this adds to the enjoyment of sitting watching. 

Find an agricultural supplier  and they will have a whole range of useful seeds. I use a mix of whole maize, kibbled maize, mixed corn and peanuts and fortunately have a cement mixer so can tip the lot into this and add a couple of scoops of aniseed powder after adding about a pint of cheap cooking oil.... the powder sticks to everyhting much better.

Hope this helps...  keep whacking and stacking

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've tried the pellets without much luck they just went mushy, I use a block or fat balls

Mm, think that blocks and balls won't last the week out between visits but balls in mesh worth a try? Not sure my feeders give the birds an easy time.

The farmer has a small bait station feeding peanuts in wire meshes that i have had a few off but not seeing them there regularly now. The ones that are seen shoot off as soon as vehicle or people seen now.  Just being patient.

The set up I have was quite productive but their behaviour change has caused the problem. Patience? Hopefully end of season , birds not fed will help as natural food going too?

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have been coating my peanuts and mixed corn with aniseed and it does appear they tuck in with more vigour. The main thing I have found is resting a feeder for a week after a heavy killing session often revitalises it and this is where trail cams are useful.  I have seven spots locally to me where I can monitor movement and keep feed topped up.   Two new spots have temporary hides/blinds until I am sure I can continually pull them in. The other five have permanent blinds made from pallets with waterproof roofs and comfy chairs and continue to pull in customers on a regular basis.  As old man says, using a mix of seeds also aids the local small bird population and this adds to the enjoyment of sitting watching. 

Find an agricultural supplier  and they will have a whole range of useful seeds. I use a mix of whole maize, kibbled maize, mixed corn and peanuts and fortunately have a cement mixer so can tip the lot into this and add a couple of scoops of aniseed powder after adding about a pint of cheap cooking oil.... the powder sticks to everyhting much better.

Hope this helps...  keep whacking and stacking

I use the aniseed oil, never seen the powder, where do you get that from?

3 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I use the aniseed oil, never seen the powder, where do you get that from?

it is called BIRD PULLER and is supplied by GAMEKEEP  01833 630232  birdpuller@gamekeep.co.uk

It is in a 5kg tub sufficient for 2.5tns but if you have someone local to you,   you could share.  I have done this with a small local shoot to me where I kill their tree rats.

Had an awful fortnight, it’s been mizzling every day. After 5 trips out, I have only shot 2 & seen very few. Put 3 more feeders out but they are still not interested. Still plenty of Beech about, even the woodies seem to be foraging for them.

Hoping the weather will improve next week.

Total 174

On 29/01/2020 at 14:21, Walker570 said:

it is called BIRD PULLER and is supplied by GAMEKEEP  01833 630232  birdpuller@gamekeep.co.uk

It is in a 5kg tub sufficient for 2.5tns but if you have someone local to you,   you could share.  I have done this with a small local shoot to me where I kill their tree rats.

Thanks, I’ll look at that after the oil has gone, just purchased another litre 

I put two 25kg bags in the mixer and a half of a bottle of cheapy cooking oil, turn that over for a couple of minutes until you can see the corn is coated, then I throw in one and a half scoops (scoop provided) and leave it to mix for about 4 or 5 minutes. Probably doesn't need that long but it makes sure the powder is well distributed.  I also throw in a couple of double handfuls of peanuts.   Initially on a new site I will put just peanuts coated in the aniseed..  Seems to work and the little birds love it.

Well that was a wild morning in the wood with the wind blowing through the trees which were creaking and swaying.

All the feeders had been used and were down to their last last grains. Topped them up with peanuts and put up the hide blind.

Within 15 minutes a grey appeared on the ground next to the hide and looked straight in. Stayed statue still and after a few seconds it was off up an oak tree. 
A few minutes later another came on to the feeder left of the hide. Let it settle for a moment and then lights out a pregnant female.

Then the first squirrel came down and settled on the feeder in front of the hide. A mature male. 

All finished by 8.30am

AA8-F37-F8-46-BF-475-A-AACA-26-B55-B9254