How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Challenging squirrel season this winter, often too windy for pea-shooters in the woods, banged through six dreys the other week for one barren sow, very mild and they've hiding up in the ivy, seen more when we've been out for Muntjac than when out for squirrels! Roost shooting days yielded a couple that like to sit high up just as the sun sets.

On 26/02/2020 at 11:46, Robertt said:

2 on the feeder. 315.

I always put some food on the ledge which gets woodland birds visiting and the odd bonus corvid but this is ridiculous. ......

2020-02-26 11.44.11.jpg

I have seen just one hen pheasant learn to lift the lid. The funny bit was she looked all around as if to see if any other pheasants where watching.

Been a slow month for the squirrels. Constant rain and a lot of strong winds meant that I couldn't get out as much as I would like and when I did, the squirrels where cosied up in the dreys. The thermal was useful in these cases, showing what dreys where occupied.

Another 12 to add anyway since my last contribution.

Out before dawn this morning, but the plans to go into the pinewood were thwarted as no sooner had I parked up than the heavens opened.

Still, into the wood yard and under the shelter. A comfortable sit in a chair for and hour and rewarded with a squirrel onto the feeder. Bet he wished he’d stayed in the drey. Second thoughts he wouldn’t have had a chance to think.

Edited by Fisheruk

Shocked this morning to wake up to a normal winter morning, layer of ice over everything and a nip in the air.  Was just a minute or two late getting to my hide but had oinly been sat two minutes before the first one arrived...07.10.  A couple of pheasants came and had a peck around and little birds by the dozen enjoying the holes in the front of the flip top, then a flick of movement and the tail of a second tree rat showed over the brash to my left and this one didn't get chance to get up on the feeder.  Went quiet then and the trail cam only showed two. 

It also showed a couple of trespassers hunting for the tin can put there by these geo cache crowd.  I wonder what they would say if I wandered round their garden.

PS very well done Mattheius :good:

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

also showed a couple of trespassers hunting for the tin can put there by these geo cache crowd.  I wonder what they would say if I wandered round their garden.

Move it to the boundary and put up a danger live rounds sign, should keep them out.

Twas a beautifil morning out in the wood and it got better when three greys ate their last.

Perhaps they should have gone in to the adjoining field where there were hundreds of seagulls feeding, wonder what was about? hatching out?

Well, finally got out this morning and even as I sat down in my hide there was one on the flip top feeder. Drpped that one and second later another appeared in the same position, sorted that one and could hear another squeeking up above me and three or four minutes later another ran in at speed up the tree and onto the flip top as well, that was three in a pile.  I sat down at 07.45 and now it was 08.05 and I thought that might be it but at 08.15 another one came in and investigated the three laying dead and seconds later joined them.   Heard a dog barking up the adjacent public footpath so decided to pull out.   That is  25 I have shot from this little slingy copse in a couple weeks or so.

006.jpg

010.jpg

On 02/03/2020 at 14:58, Mattheius said:

We had our Annual "Squirrel Bash" on the weekend, walking through a few of the big woods... Bagged a total of 31.

New total - 361

You need to keep at them all through the year, rather than letting them breed for an annual bash!

Edited by Fisheruk

Out yesterday before dawn and now getting a chance to beat the dog walkers. One enormous male that had been taking advantage of the bird feeder next to a public footpath.

4682-E627-E3-E4-45-EB-B30-D-2-D395-E60-E

Edited by Fisheruk

12 hours ago, butchdickason said:

Vermin day today at syndicate, 56 adult and 20 young.

That makes the running total 453

Another three this morning by a public footpath.

Only recovered two as the third dropped into a bramble thicket.

Total is now 456

F4-BC968-D-DD39-444-E-94-B3-F3-CBFD9-B7-

Edited by Fisheruk