steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Four this morning in 20 minutes in our own wood. Not seen hide nor hair of a tree rat here for at least three months, then an influx same as last year.   17hmr did the job.

002.jpg

Luxury hide. I am so envious - I am lucky if I find a spot of ground that doesn’t have a 45 degree slope!

2 trapped today and as I was dropping off a new loan  trap, there was a grey hanging on the feeder - seemed rude not to shoot it. The owner was delighted, the grey had been bugging her for weeks. If only life was so easy.

Total 721

Yep, planted this 10 acre plot 24yrs ago with a Farm Woodland grant and then as it developed I built four purpose designed cabins for a) watching wildlife  and b) killing vermin. That one isn't but the others are built from timeber grown on site.

2 more today out in Lincolnshire

Went out this morning for a wander with .410 and thermal.  Difficult to spot greys in the beeches and  oaks due to the full leaf canopy, but managed to shoot  3 in the ash and tree stumps. Finished off the morning  with 2 more in loan traps. A beautiful morning to be out , 

Total 729

Edited by Sciurus
Poor arithmetic

8 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

141 since I last updated here. Including 5 trapped within less than an hour in the back garden today. In the same trap each time.

Had to read that twice 👏👏

On 08/06/2020 at 20:42, Sciurus said:

was a grey hanging on the feeder - seemed rude not to shoot it. The owner was delighted, the grey had been bugging her for weeks. If only life was so easy.

I thought that was how it worked? Hope you still got a brew and cake.

Edited by Mice!

14 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

141 since I last updated here. Including 5 trapped within less than an hour in the back garden today. In the same trap each time.

141, Very impressive- great stuff! Last week, One of our villagers caught 3 in the first day with a trap, which I thought was fantastic but 5 in an hour is just brilliant. -  Watch our Walker, you have competition!

Edited by Sciurus
Additional comment

3 hours ago, Sciurus said:

141, Very impressive- great stuff! Last week, One of our villagers caught 3 in the first day with a trap, which I thought was fantastic but 5 in an hour is just brilliant. -  Watch our Walker, you have competition!

Another 3 from the same trap, in under an hour again. 

Ive recently moved and the garden backs onto a park. The squirrels are everywhere and have literally demolished the bins looking for food. Very few songbirds about so hopefully I can help them a bit.

1 hour ago, stuartyboy said:

Ive recently moved and the garden backs onto a park. The squirrels are everywhere and have literally demolished the bins looking for food. Very few songbirds about so hopefully I can help them a bit.

Sounds like my house was, not seen a squirrel in the garden for quite some time, look at the multi catch traps because your going to be busy.

My garden is now packed full of songbirds 👍

2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Terrific, enjoy it while you can. You are doing everyone a great favour.

Four more for me, trapped at different sites.

Total 849

Yes, excellent work, keep whacking and stacking.  Things have gone a bit quiet round here but I suppose you can't keep killing 'em.  I know one wood I shoot has gone very quiet these days where my first visit there resulted in double figures in about a couple of hours, now I may see one or two. BUT  that is the plan isn't it ?

Things might pick up when the pheasant feeders get filled.  I'm 50 down on what I planned on 1st Jan but still on my average for last year.