steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ratchers said:

Went to the feeding box where I shot five last week to find the lid chewed to bits cos Mr stupid squirrel couldn't figure on how to get in.

Filled it up and will be back tomorrow, gonna have to fix it aswell.

021.JPG

Yep, definitely needs a metal lid 😳

4 hours ago, ratchers said:

Went to the feeding box where I shot five last week to find the lid chewed to bits cos Mr stupid squirrel couldn't figure on how to get in.

Filled it up and will be back tomorrow, gonna have to fix it aswell.

021.JPG

Hefty piece of wood that, might have been a small feeble squirrel? That spent 3hrs chewing the lid?

Was out at the shooting syndicates wood today after filling feeding box up yesterday(see photo post).

I have two feeders set up at the corner of the pheasant compound at 90 degrees to each other so I can cover two boxes from one hide position, 20 yards to each box.

And today it finally happened, I had a squirrel on each box at the same time, took one out and then got the other which never moved at the sound of the first squirrel shot.

3 hours ago, ratchers said:

Was out at the shooting syndicates wood today after filling feeding box up yesterday(see photo post).

I have two feeders set up at the corner of the pheasant compound at 90 degrees to each other so I can cover two boxes from one hide position, 20 yards to each box.

And today it finally happened, I had a squirrel on each box at the same time, took one out and then got the other which never moved at the sound of the first squirrel shot.

Now that's cheating :mad:  Nah  just joking, well done. 

Disappointing morning here too, Sciurus.  I turned out at 6am to find the flip top feeder almost empty in 10 days. Settled in and waited....and waited ...and......  Pheasants, woodpgeons and a blackbird came to sample what I had delivered at just past 8am a half grown tree rat suddenly appeared on the feeder, must have come down the tree.  Popped that one and thought OK they are a bit late getting out of bed ...then, nothing, zero.  Well I have shot a six and a nine of that spot in the last three weeks.

I don’t normally get squirrels at home but a youngster turned up last week. Out came the trap, which for days,  it generally ignored. Unfortunately Mrs Sciurus (swmbo) won’t let me shoot at home, so yesterday’s lunch was ruined by watching the grey go in, out and round without setting it off.

I oiled and fettled the trap and today 2 youngsters turned up. They spent half a hour eating up the crumbs as they fell from the bird feeder, but apart from nosing around the entrance they were just not interested. I don’t do stress but eventually I was pacing up and down, cursing the wife and wishing she would go out to the shops or anywhere!

Thankfully I heard the click of the trap and the grey was transported swiftly to the garage to be culled and the trap returned to the bird feeder. Within minutes the 2nd grey came out of the holly where it had been hiding and it was Groundhog Day all over, thankfully with a successful ending after another 10 minutes of pacing.

Within minutes, the phone rang, a neighbour had caught a youngster in one of the loan traps. Its much easier trapping other people’s squirrels!

1 this morning. I’ve been after him since Saturday. Had three glorious chances, missed cross hairs on the squirrel’s head, perfect shot and nothing. Tested the gun shooting a buttercup below and bang on. Happened three times until I realised that at the apogee the pellet was just clipping a  frond of cherry leaves and so spinning off. Snapped their twig off yesterday and nailed him today straight in the brainbox. Too gory for pictures. 

Well, I didn't break my record for this location but still managed seventeen.  I think had I waited another hour or two I might have had a few more, they will be there for next time.

Browning T Bolt 22BR did the job, Hawke Airmax on top. 

Ten from one site on the Landie bonnet.

That added to the seven yesterday starts to reduce the number I need for my one a day pledge.

002.jpg

Edited by Walker570