steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, powler said:

Finally got out on my perm in wales, only had a hr or so, gusty windy conditions.

Got 3 expected more.

I'll bet you were glad to be out though👍

A young male last night 

Alarm set for 04:00, sarnies made, kit all ready, will be in the hide and ready for the squizzers coming for breakfast on feeder. Hopefully a good mornings session awaits, fingers crossed. If all goes to plan should have a good few to add to tally🤞
What could possibly go wrong🤔🤣
Will update tomorrow some time.........

As above but without the food supplies. Just sat in the highseat and up turns No1 that was right on 6am five more came and fell by 07.45 then I had to upsticks and meet the farmer who was going to load a serious big maple tree trunk on my trailer for me and some smaller oak he had just cleared from a gateway.  I am certain there are more there for another morning.

Six to add then...

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As above but without the food supplies. Just sat in the highseat and up turns No1 that was right on 6am five more came and fell by 07.45 then I had to upsticks and meet the farmer who was going to load a serious big maple tree trunk on my trailer for me and some smaller oak he had just cleared from a gateway.  I am certain there are more there for another morning.

Six to add then...

Well you certainly had a better morning than me🙈 Was in the hide by 04:30, as it got lighter in the woods I watched a shed load of mice running up and down the tree to get to feeder, must be losing a fair bit of peanuts to those lot! Next up were the black birds scattering dead leaves on the floor searching for they’re breakfast. Followed by the songbirds on the feeder.......but not one squizzer!!! Found this very strange as it’s recently been pulling them in nicely🤔 I screwed some steel plate to the front of the feeder yesterday as I’m using the rimfire so just wondering if they’re not used to that or they smell my scent on it-is that possible?? Anyways, I called it a day at 09:00 without seeing (or hearing) a single squirrel. Perhaps they’re like my kids and don’t surface till midday?🙄

May try again late this afternoon, trying to make the most of it as I’m back to work next week after 6 weeks off on furlough. Kind of happy to be going back to get back into a routine......but going to miss the amount of shooting I’ve been able to do lately. 
Well done Walker570👍

They will drive you crazy.  Sometimes I am about to pull sticks and they suddenly pour in. Last trip to Lincolshire exact same. I pulled in and set up on a feeder which I normally have double figures on my first visit of the year. Sat for two hours, nothing. Went to check another feeder which I had recently filled after cucking out a blue tits nest.  One showed and died. Then nothing.

Went back to the roiginal at 10.30a and within minutes of setting up they poured in.   The main time to be there is at first light four about thee hours and then late afternoon NORMALLY but come to the conclusion they ain't normal. Better look this afternoon.

On 09/07/2020 at 19:35, Mice! said:

I'll bet you were glad to be out though👍

A young male last night 

Yes sooo nice to be out and about, back out yesterday after work, had 9 walking about with shotty, 7 of them sat in hawthorn trees eating the seeds/berry's, a big give away the sounds of the husks dropping.

Mick

Oops forgot total

Edited by powler

Just four more today. Bit disappointed as all the flip tops where empty so a few about but I think 06.00 was a bit too late to be there because as soon as the sun came up and the temp rose it went very quiet.  Must get out of bed earlier next time, fortunately the nights are closing in. Mind I was up at 04.30 but had a 70 mile drive to the first feeder.