How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

NOW !!!!!   That is ##### cheaky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife opened the back door this morning to feed the two blackbirds which have become very tame and she feeds each morning with currants. THERE blatantly sat a yard from the door is a ############   ing  TREE RAT !!!!!!!!  

It doesn't know but it is on borrowed time

I'm very disappointed,  I imagine you and the wife are armed at all times!!

20200813_190526.jpg.934653bc5c5c54b0f3ec3129d7856f4f.jpg

20200813_191644.jpg.84d645a1b75739e63bf0922f4c10b6b1.jpg

The squirrels reaction when it realises who's house it is!!

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huge amount of natural food about this year. Hawthorn tree today was just a mass of red berries and an oak branch I had to clear up.... wind damage....was laden with acorns.

My own hazel trees are also laden with nuts along with what looks like a record walnut crop.  Might see a return of the masses come October when the pheasant feeders come into use.

Had a PM about aniseed mixing and replied with the stuff I use.  It seems to work and everyhting makes a bee line for any fall out below the flip top.  Had five pheasants this morning ignore a huge pile of wheat tipped near by and rushed in to pick some whole maize and mixed corn I had flipped out of the feeder.

004.jpg

Well, I’ve been after a skitty Squirrel for three days. It’s been coming to a feeder fixed to a post, which is fixed to the post of a cattle fence running next to a mature Hawthorne Tree at the end of a field hedge. Just staying Long enough to have a quick feast of a few peanuts before going off to forage for natural food which is in abundance.

I think it is the only squirrel still using this feeder since I shot one off it last week. It comes through the dense Hawthorne and the only sign it is there is a bounce of the branch just overhanging the feeder on its pole. A quick jump down onto the feeder and then a lift of the lid and  a dive into the feeder. Nut retrieved and then a jump straight back into the dense Hawthorne to eat the nut. No chance of a shot. It’s been coming very early just after day break at 6.30am. This morning I was up early and hiding, this morning I had the FX Verminator on the sticks ready for its visit.
Same routine, bounce down from the Hawthorne, grab a nut and jump straight back into the tree. Once, twice and then a third time. That time it paused just a few seconds on the top of the feeder looking straight at me. Not sure whether it could see me because even in the hide I have a sniper veil over my head and camouflage gloves on my hands. It just gave me long enough to slip the safety off the Verminator and let the JSB Hades bury itself into the engine room. One last spring off the feeder as it landed on the ground. It was a mature female, I think the mate for the male I had from this feeder last week. All done and dusted by 6.45am.

Mostly the squirrels are feasting on the Hazel nuts and Rowan berries which are very plentiful this year. 

2 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Well, I’ve been after a skitty Squirrel for three days. It’s been coming to a feeder fixed to a post, which is fixed to the post of a cattle fence running next to a mature Hawthorne Tree at the end of a field hedge. Just staying Long enough to have a quick feast of a few peanuts before going off to forage for natural food which is in abundance.

I think it is the only squirrel still using this feeder since I shot one off it last week. It comes through the dense Hawthorne and the only sign it is there is a bounce of the branch just overhanging the feeder on its pole. A quick jump down onto the feeder and then a lift of the lid and  a dive into the feeder. Nut retrieved and then a jump straight back into the dense Hawthorne to eat the nut. No chance of a shot. It’s been coming very early just after day break at 6.30am. This morning I was up early and hiding, this morning I had the FX Verminator on the sticks ready for its visit.
Same routine, bounce down from the Hawthorne, grab a nut and jump straight back into the tree. Once, twice and then a third time. That time it paused just a few seconds on the top of the feeder looking straight at me. Not sure whether it could see me because even in the hide I have a sniper veil over my head and camouflage gloves on my hands. It just gave me long enough to slip the safety off the Verminator and let the JSB Hades bury itself into the engine room. One last spring off the feeder as it landed on the ground. It was a mature female, I think the mate for the male I had from this feeder last week. All done and dusted by 6.45am.

Mostly the squirrels are feasting on the Hazel nuts and Rowan berries which are very plentiful this year. 

Atleast you have got it in the end 😁

Two last weekend in a wood where there were multiple Reds. It’s great to watch the Reds and also know you are doing your bit to even the odds for them, but none are coming onto the feeders at present.

One Red came down a pine trunk just 3 metres from where I was sitting. I had just taken a grey out with the FAC Verminator, at the top of an adjacent pine.