How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 today.. this morning I went down to collect any walnuts which had come off during the night and saw one tree rat scamper off into the nut trees. I returned to the house and collected the hmr and went back down the orchard and saw another scamper off in the same direction.  had just poured a cup of coffeee when one appeared 20yrds away which the 17hmr dealt with. I thought I saw a flick of something in the bush behind and sure enough 10 mins later another comes out and sits up perfect ...WHOP!!  ..... the sound 17g of copper and lead makes at 25yrds. Things went quiet for about 15 mins and then another came out from the same direction and recieved the same welcome.  Then a fourth appeared from nowhere and started to wrestle the dead one and finished wrestling lying along side it.  Not a bad 90 mins.

Five days picking so far and 350 walnuts harvested.

Went down to pick some pears for supper tonight and darn it another scampered off, so will be there 06.00hrs in the morning.

006.jpg

008.jpg

Edited by Walker570

1 minute ago, Robertt said:

Was about to make a start on the feeders but struck down with this pesky plague thing. Luckily very mild.

Is there much, if any feeder activity ??

I’m out first thing to have a look tomorrow. I’ll let you know. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery 

12 hours ago, Robertt said:

Was about to make a start on the feeders but struck down with this pesky plague thing. Luckily very mild.

Hope your over it soon, my feeders are getting light use, there in the oaks still.

13 hours ago, Robertt said:

Zero interest on mine at the moment, just tons of nuts and acorns about. The eight I have had in the last two weeks have been on the hazles and the walnuts in my orchard/wood.  Last year my diary indicates things picked up last week in October.

Take care and hope you kick it off soon.

Edited by Walker570

PLUS another brilliant, you are so lucky. Do not think I will ever see them back here in my lifetime. A good piece in a magazine today saying that a greater effort should be made to clear out alien animals birds etc.,  speaking mainly about those green parrakeets but also the grey squirrel.

7 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:

So been to check the camera this morning and although there was no gray pictures there was this which must mean the gray numbers have been reduced in my wood 

Congratulations, you must be very pleased, it does make it all worthwhile. It will be interesting to see if it stays or is passing through. Best keep the camera going and doubling your efforts to keep the greys down in that wood as soon as they appear.

Ps Spotting your red might help you get more grey control in nearby woods ( this works well for us in Cumbria).  Good luck