steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well got the skin off the tree rat and had it laid out/stretched and salted, so whilst it was still soft I covered the wooden form with wood glue and stretched the skin on and stapled it all in place.  NOW, let us face it, a real neat taxidermy job is not required. I thought the ears and shape important as well as the colour which the skin/fur will give.  I think it will fool a few and by the time they have run up to have a look and paused to see what is wrong with it they will be in happy tree rat lah lah land.  I just want them to pause for 5 seconds no more and the job will be done.

Now I have to put in the electronics for the tail. I have pulled the bone from that and it is now fitted with a wire two thirds the way up which will go on the shaft of the electric motor and hopefully when revolving it will twitch the end of the tail tantalisingly.  Looks like rain again tomorrow  indoor play so should get that sorted.get that sorted

003.JPG

004.JPG

Don't shoot the wrong one 😅😅😅

Did you see the BBC programme where they had a squirrel similar to what your making? I think it was Packham,  they were showing how squirrels steal off each other with nuts etc. Can you fix a walnut to the base or something? Squirrel gets there attention they pause trying to get the walnut,  bang!

On 26/10/2020 at 21:24, Mice! said:

Don't shoot the wrong one 😅😅😅

Did you see the BBC programme where they had a squirrel similar to what your making? I think it was Packham,  they were showing how squirrels steal off each other with nuts etc. Can you fix a walnut to the base or something? Squirrel gets there attention they pause trying to get the walnut,  bang!

No, did not see that.  It will be interesting to see the reaction if any.  I have two feed rides where I intend setting it up, where they tend to cross or just will not sit for a few seconds.  It'll be fun trying.

Had a good bag of sixteen today but shooting was dire, two or three got away due to my shooting, also saw more but not in range. Nearly had a fox walk to me but he saw me at about 30yds out so no good trying to shoot him at that range. If I had had the under and over I would of loaded with magnum shells but had a auto.

Mick

Edited by powler
typo

Well I sat for four hours this morning and was fortunate to get one which was on a mission but paused just too long and got bitten by the Browing. Saw one more which was also on a mission and never showed again. Non of the food in the flip tops had been touched.  The good thing was it was a big fat female.