How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

Well, against all odds weatherwise I managed to down one of the three seen yesterday. Peetling down with rain and blowing a gale so really did not expect to see any.  I was warmly tucked up in one of our cabins with just the shooting flap open.  Gave it three hours but nothing else moved.  Our local buzzard scooped the one up within minutes of it falling out of the tree. I am sure it now knows when I turn up with a rifle there might be a free meal available.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well a large pregnant female this morning sitting on a fence post, but just long enough to meet the lead from the FX Verminator. I put up a new feeder Tuesday afternoon on the edge of a field where I can drive and sit in comfort within range and it was being used this morning.

Edited by Fisheruk

Another large female this morning, out early just on day break. Settled in a shelter opposite an old and trusted feed that has proved productive for several years. As Walker 570 says some feeders seem to be favourites for squirrels. 
A long wait of more than an hour this morning with strong winds and rain coming in horizontally. 
Eventually squirrel comes along the bank  to the base of the ash tree and up onto the feeder, using the 22lr even at 30 metres was a good choice as the wind was gusting at 30mph. The 42gr lead wasn’t moved by the wind and a resounding clang as the lead hit the steel armour on the front of the feeder, having passed straight through said squirrel.

Total 1652

19588549-BCFF-49D1-8CA6-812EABB0349F.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

Two more this morning and the camera shown with four in the frame, so more to come. All coming to a feed station.

65yrd shots across a field from a high seat. Gusting wind but the 22RF managed to get there, just timed it between gusts.

Also pics of a tree rat on another flip top, so they are hungry again.

...looks like a nice set up there:good:

3 hours ago, Longbower said:

It  was wet and windy here yesterday, so we went 'knocking on doors' (dray bashing)

Only two males were at home , The larger one had 'buge hollocks', its awonder he could walk?

I must have shot his brother/cousin this morning as he was similarly endowed.

Just two came racing bye and the one stopped just long enough for the Browing T Bolt to bark...well phutt!!

Still not after food and one flip top I filled back in early October had not been touched as can be seen in the photo

So just one to add              1665

009.jpg

005.jpg

010.jpg

First real frost here this morning. Slid up into the high seat at ten to eight and had only just fed a round into the Browning when the first one came down the ash tree and went straight to the flip top. Seconds later it fell off and I thought how lucky that was when another came down from the same tree and paused to check out why it's mate was lying down in the pond when it too felt the wrath of the T Bolt.  Now I usually use the 17HMR across this field...65yrds ... but wishing to keep absolutely quiet I took the 22RF. No problem to this little rifle which is scary accurate.  I had four tree rats on camera so that may be it for a week or so here, had two on Saturday. 

002.jpg

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

First real frost here this morning. Slid up into the high seat at ten to eight and had only just fed a round into the Browning when the first one came down the ash tree and went straight to the flip top. Seconds later it fell off and I thought how lucky that was when another came down from the same tree and paused to check out why it's mate was lying down in the pond when it too felt the wrath of the T Bolt.  Now I usually use the 17HMR across this field...65yrds ... but wishing to keep absolutely quiet I took the 22RF. No problem to this little rifle which is scary accurate.  I had four tree rats on camera so that may be it for a week or so here, had two on Saturday. 

002.jpg

Cracking picture Nev, nice to see some frost as well.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

002.jpg

Brilliant, love the footprints in the frost!

Good to see everyone is getting some squirrel action.👍

Went out at lunchtime and within 10mins and 50 yards of entering the wood, we had 3 with .410s (a breeding pair from a drey). Walked the rest of the wood and saw nothing. Heavy Rain then stopped play.

Total 1674

Put a feeder up this morning and a makeshift hide, which is under a few yew trees, sat down there for ten minutes and heard a low flying helicopter coming over so stepped out to have a look, turned back around a squirrel was sat just were I had been, cheeky sod legged as soon as I turned and saw him.

Anyways had two others with the .17HMR 

Had a solitary walk round my nearest wood where we had eight last week and caught this chap playing in the canopy.D1E6D8DB-8CB1-4CBB-9C03-E8D3845EF252.jpeg.80ba4b969ab1d5fcdd0d6f73667617d6.jpegDrove to a second nearby wood but the sun came out and although it was a lovely day, it was useless for the thermal and I saw nothing but deer. I was just starting the car to go home, when I spotted a grey enjoying a bit of sunbathing in the tree in front of me. It was a bit of a struggle get the Hushpower out of its slip on the back seat and then open the door a fraction to load a subsonic but the grey loitered a second too long and was history. The nearby flock of  Herdwicks didn’t hear a thing.

total 1678