How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2020

steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the one this morning. Two showing on camera but the second did not appear and I started to lose the feeling in my toes due to the hard frost so a big mug of hot coffee seemed a good idea. 

Holly tree behind an old shed on the farm laden with berries.  Still huge amount of natural food about.

002.jpg

And another one out of a Hawthorne tree, with the FX Verminator. Wasn’t able to retrieve it from the thicket beneath. Interestingly the others which have dropped there have all gone by the following morning either the feral cats from the farm yard or a fox I suspect.

From observing it before it dropped it was a young un.

On 25/11/2020 at 20:54, Good shot? said:

Just one today, with the .17HMR.

At 230 yards it was not expecting it. But I know the holdover at this spot and with minimum windage I could not resist.

Total 1687.

That sounds like an amazing shot! One to remember certainly.

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

That sounds like an amazing shot! One to remember certainly.

Regularly shoot from the farm gate to this exact spot, passing the time with HMR at targets picked at various ranges, it is a good spot to see all around (usually for fox with .222 in the daytime) so know the range well and with negligible wind and a good backstop I could not resist and was pleased that the previous practice paid off in the ideal conditions.

I will add it to my memory bank certainly.

To be honest I was awaiting criticism. 😉

No criticism. The 17HMR can be surgical if the user can keep it steady.  I have a couple of 200yarders I will remember.  Taunting me under a pheasant feeder at the other end of a long ride throught the wood. Eventually one stood still lom enough and the second came to inspect the body.  Aimed at the head and hit mid body on both.

Still nice shooting, keep whacking and stacking.

Edited by Walker570

On 25/11/2020 at 20:54, Good shot? said:

Just one today, with the .17HMR.

At 230 yards it was not expecting it. But I know the holdover at this spot and with minimum windage I could not resist.

Total 1687.

Good shooting, At one of the PW rifle weekends I recall Sparkie set up a 60mm gong on the rimfire range at 260m. Many tried and gave up. I was satisfied to get 40 clangs out of a box of 50, with my Marlin 17hmr. Once you know the hold over it’s simples.