steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Once you get a thermal, you will find more reasons to pick up a gun and shoot especially in the winter. I take mine, even if I go for a walk.

You will not regret it!

Or if you borrow one you'll want one!!

13 hours ago, powler said:

Definitely going to get a thermal now after Catamogs write up, just deciding which one and if they have stock in the UK as Pulsar seem to have poor supply, maybe a Guide TK35 but the internal battery of only 5hrs of charge concerns me and if that battery dies in a few years then thermal is knackered. Pulsar Helion 2 QX38F is my pick at the moment.

I wouldn't have shot my two Monday without the thermal, I couldn't believe where one was hiding,  and the other was so high up and hidden there was no chance of finding it with a scope or binoculars. 

I've told guys on FB to give it a rest, making out that thermal is the be all and end all,  you don't need it for shooting feeders, but you start trying to walk and stalk and they can't hide, you notice things that you had no chance seeing before.

pulsar quantum lite xq23, worth looking for.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We still have to hear from the Professional up in the lakes with his annual return. Might someone jog his memory???

Their final figures will be in around the 7th of Jan,  but it's a lot.

I'm still sure there will be a lot here on PW who probably shoot lots of greys but don't log them.

Sorry Kev,  I don’t personally know Jerry, except by reputation of course.  I am not even sure whether he is under Julie’s area or separate. I do know her 3 groups were on around 9000 end of November and we were on 6700, which is 1500 more than last year.

I bet it will be end Feb before we receive and total all the figures for 2020. My job tomorrow is chase the chaps in my small area for their figures for December.

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Or if you borrow one you'll want one!!

I wouldn't have shot my two Monday without the thermal, I couldn't believe where one was hiding,  and the other was so high up and hidden there was no chance of finding it with a scope or binoculars. 

Kev, thinking about it in hindsight, we could have done things a little  easier. Once we knew vaguely where the last two greys were, I should  have moved back on the other side of the pine and both greys would have moved over slightly to you  and presented an easier shot. But then you wouldn’t have had the shot of the year!

incidentally, I have just learned there is another 50 acres across the road to sort out👍

6 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Kev, thinking about it in hindsight, we could have done things a little  easier. Once we knew vaguely where the last two greys were, I should  have moved back on the other side of the pine and both greys would have moved over slightly to you  and presented an easier shot. But then you wouldn’t have had the shot of the year!

incidentally, I have just learned there is another 50 acres across the road to sort out👍

Well I thought coming through the rhododendron would have pushed them to you but they sat tight, I don't think they planned on moving at all.

Another 50 acres 😍😍

8 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

do know her 3 groups were on around 9000 end of November and we were on 6700, which is 1500 more than last year.

The 6000 I was thinking of was us then, great news for the reds, and I've an email to send.

Your dramatic appearance through the rhododendrons probably didn’t help matters!😂😂😂 but the more the greys are thinned out, the harder it is to shoot the remaining ones.

The ranger I know, when shooting on his own  would have just sat at the base of nearby tree and waited for as long as it takes. So many different ways....

5 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

The ranger I know, when shooting on his own  would have just sat at the base of nearby tree and waited for as long as it takes. So many different ways....

That'll be me if I go up alone,  find one and wait the little piece of earth out, the one at the monkey puzzle!! Hopefully without the sun in my eyes 👍