steve_b_wales

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

No Squirrels shot yet as not been out, but filled my two feeders up on Wednesday, can I expect results at the weekend?

Hope so.

Started tailing off on the feeders at end of May last year.

Not received the all clear to go out on the land yet, mopping rolands and samuels up at home at present.

I certainly don't understand them at all?

I consider we have been given permission to go out shooting, as far as I am concerned if I can go fishing,golfing etc  I can also  sit out near a feeder and wait for Squirrels, am I wrong?

I was out Wednesday filling the feeders and plinking/zeroing  and having a look around, with the farmers permission. 

On 15/05/2020 at 14:33, Good shot? said:

I consider we have been given permission to go out shooting, as far as I am concerned if I can go fishing,golfing etc  I can also  sit out near a feeder and wait for Squirrels, am I wrong?

I was out Wednesday filling the feeders and plinking/zeroing  and having a look around, with the farmers permission. 

As long as you are operating within the general licences, and subject to the land owners request , for crop/fauna/livestock protection .

Yes you can.

I bagged four today , with the BSA Scorpion se .22 with JSB exact . 

Well, my first morning back at the tree rats this morning and admit I didn't get into the hide before 8am...by 8.10am I had four on the deck and by 8.50am I had eight and saw at least three more.

Have five more sites to visit so may be able to make up most of my losses during the last eight weeks. With the 8 this morning, I need 48 more to catch up to one a day.

006.jpg

Edited by Walker570

On 15/05/2020 at 14:33, Good shot? said:

Yes we can go out, but if your on someone else's land they may not have said you can have access yet.

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

had eight

He's back 👍

Well turned out early this morning and it was devoid of squirrels.  A cock pheasant was patrolling about 15yrds from me giving it the wing flapping and crowing but then stopped and raided it's head and as it did so I caught a glimpse of movement through the shooting slot in my blind and there was a fox sneaking up right alongside no more than 3 yards away if that. The wind was perfect and it only just saw the movemnt as the muzzle of the rifle appeared in the shooting slot. It was so close that even on the lowest stting all I could see was a blur of ginger hair.

Lucky i had decided to take the 22RF this morning not the air rifle.    The fox went down and didn't twitch and the cock pheasant just stared in amazement and was still there when I took the photo.

I had two tree rats in another seat and hour later

002.jpg

003.jpg

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well turned out early this morning and it was devoid of squirrels.  A cock pheasant was patrolling about 15yrds from me giving it the wing flapping and crowing but then stopped and raided it's head and as it did so I caught a glimpse of movement through the shooting slot in my blind and there was a fox sneaking up right alongside no more than 3 yards away if that. The wind was perfect and it only just saw the movemnt as the muzzle of the rifle appeared in the shooting slot. It was so close that even on the lowest stting all I could see was a blur of ginger hair.

Lucky i had decided to take the 22RF this morning not the air rifle.    The fox went down and didn't twitch and the cock pheasant just stared in amazement and was still there when I took the photo.

I had two tree rats in another seat and hour later

002.jpg

003.jpg

Nicely done. Right place at the right time and the right tool 👍

A very impressive return Walker!

Two of us had a walk round today 2 sites with 410s and thermals, ended up with 6 (him more than me!). The bracken and leaves had shot up over the last 3 drizzly days and it was difficult to spot or shoot them. So will start shooting them at feeders and trapping.

Total 571

Early start this morning 4.30 am out and in the high seat at 5. This seat overlooks a couple of large trees on the corner of a pond, one tree is a very old pear and the other similar age ash and they have produced in the past.  It was not until 7 oclock that a tree rat showed up and was despatched efficiently with the 17HMR and the next 30 mins they came in a steady stream and I shot six before the desire for a large mug of strength 6 Molten Larva Morissons coffee overtook the desire to shoot more.  I had baited the base of these trees with mixed corn and whole maize laced with aniseed two days ago and it was all gone.  Before the tree rats arrived a really neat little muntie doe walked past, probably a yearling and in absolute pristine condition.

What better way to spend a sunny May morning.   Yes I know there is only five in the photo, one dropped in the pond and I didn't fancy and early morning swim.

The one hanging on the barbed wire, slid down the trunk and got snagged there on the way down.

003.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by Walker570