New camo jacket advice please

powler

HI Guys

Finally had enough of sweating me nads off in my Jack Pyke jacket, so looking for suggestions for a replacement I would like it to have;

be quiet for stalking 

cartridge pockets

hand warmer pockets

be waterproof with a hood

preferably camo.

Any advice more than welcome.

I was tempted to get the sowing machine out on the jack pyke and make some breathing holes in it.

Thanks

Mick

35 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

there's no jacket that you will not sweat in!

Too true. Breathable is just a term used as a sales aid. If it's waterproof then you will sweat.

I know folks who will deny this but they are the fortunate ones who don't sweat much.

15 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

It’s all about layering to my mind and then topping off with a thin cammo waterproof and I agree that military goretex is the way to go. Inexpensive effective and hard wearing. If it’s not raining leave the waterproof layer in the bag.

This says it all.   Lightweight outer that you can wear or carry till you need it.   Then wear as many layers as the day requires.

1 hour ago, powler said:

HI Guys

Finally had enough of sweating me nads off in my Jack Pyke jacket, so looking for suggestions for a replacement I would like it to have;

be quiet for stalking 

cartridge pockets

hand warmer pockets

be waterproof with a hood

preferably camo.

Any advice more than welcome.

I was tempted to get the sowing machine out on the jack pyke and make some breathing holes in it.

Thanks

Mick

Good advice above the military surplus and layering etc, and you just can not go wrong with a Gortex unlined Army outershell over the top of the jacket of your choice to keep you dry.  In some shooting sports you need more inssulation or lighter weight and less inssulation, Stalking is similar and your needs can vary drastically down to conditions access and hunting style you chose to use.

but if you want just one jacket that is not far from what you need   certainly in winter  its one i have had for close to 20 years. The Nomad roe smock.

You can get a hood for it though i never use mine, its warm beyond its bulk and its dry and quiet.

But it is not perfect, it is permatex and breath yes but it gains weight in  constant rain   The fact its a smock is good in that its warm & simple but it can get hot under extreme exertion undoing the collar section helps but on a few occasions i have wished that coat in hell.

I would not be without the nomad roe smock, and as a one stop stalking top in all but warm weather it gets the job done better than any one coat i have ever owned. And it ticks all your boxes apart from the cammo aspect.

I have a Laksen and a Musto in camouflage; the better one is the Laksen but the better pattern is the Musto. Both are warm ( especially the Laksen ) and both are waterproof, and have hoods. I had to lightly stitch on the hood of the Musto ( through the zip toggle ) as it tended to unzip itself whilst walking. 

Edited by Scully