The Act Came together on the last day.

Grandalf

Farmer complaining of deer damage...

Seven hundred acres of arable, cattle and some woodland.   Rolling country in the main.   Lovely area that I am very lucky to shoot.

Mainly CWD and muntys.   Some roe and the occasional red in the autumn.   Been there morning after morning recently and not had a shot.   I've seen deer everywhere but in a shootable position.   On skylines, in front of the village school, in front of his house, in front of his son's house, in his neighbours garden, etc.   Then I've seen out of season deer all over the place.   Roe bucks.   Back on the last of the stubbles one morning I was furious to see a total of fifteen deer and couldn't take a single shot for one reason or another - Or several reasons at the same time.

New Year's morning the plan came together.   Just parked the truck by a track in the fog and waited for something to happen.   The landy is a mobile high seat.   Three CWD appeared on the skyline and dead in line with the village as usual but then the fog thickened and they were hidden again.   Fog cleared and one had walked down towards me.   Got that one grassed and waited.   Twenty five minutes later the fog was all gone and the other two wandered down the slope as well.   Bang, bang and one happy farmer and one ecstatic stalker.

Eighteen months ago I was parked up in exactly the same place but facing the other way and got three muntys. 

Patience seems to be the name of the game. 

Edited by Grandalf
Spelling

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Brilliant.  How do you rate Chinese on the plate?   Muntie is my favorite but never been impressed with Chinese to date.  Usually marinate and smoke it to give it some flavour.

In the culinary department I would say 1. Munty.   2. Roe.   3. Chinese.   Those three are the only ones I come up against on a regular basis.   The reds that I have eaten were good.

As in nearly all species the age of the beast must be taken into account as well.   The last but one munty we devoured was a tough old fellah who was a bit long in the tooth.   Doesn't seem to affect the taste though. 

Never ever had a bad roe deer regardless of age.  Must say similar for munties but I do cook the haunches in a closed roaster, slowly and with plenty of vegetables around it. Then take the top off and glaze the roast before taking it out.  I rub some mixed herbs and brown sugar over the roast haunch then give it half an hour at 220 with the top off.  The chinese always seems a bit bland in comparison. Some of the very best meat I have ever eaten was Nilgai antelope and also Pronghorn antelope but I think a lot down to the chef.

On 01/01/2020 at 17:42, Grandalf said:

In the culinary department I would say 1. Munty.   2. Roe.   3. Chinese.   Those three are the only ones I come up against on a regular basis.   The reds that I have eaten were good.

As in nearly all species the age of the beast must be taken into account as well.   The last but one munty we devoured was a tough old fellah who was a bit long in the tooth.   Doesn't seem to affect the taste though. 

The best venison I've ever had was the haunch from an old hind, slow cooked in a stew/casserole, shot to the south east of you. We had it at a shoot lunch.