Having too many Interests/hobbies

SuperGoose75

As per title, is their such a thing as having to many Interests.

I used to think that it was a positive thing,however lately I have found that they are beginning to weigh me down a bit and Im finding it hard to keep up with everything. Having duties and also many things are getting put on the back burner due to other interests taking up the time.

A midlife crisis possibly?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always doing it.

Shooting, fly fishing, rc model aircraft, playing in a ukulele band, on committees for various groups along with family commitments.

Trouble is that I cut down on the things I'm doing, to simplify life, then fill the spaces with new things.🥺

I used to shoot,fish & cycle.When I stopped shooting I bought a MX5 to modify.It took over my life,stopped fishing and cycling.Now it's gone I'm going to dust down the rods and I've just purchaced a new road bike to use in the Summer and I'm back out on the mountain bike now.

022020035.jpg

Edited by Davyo

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

are you are enjoying what you are doing if so   ( learn to say NO  )    you cant please everyone but can please yourself           new year resolution 

Absolutely agree with this. The hardest thing is to say No! I think after sixty years I have learned the lesson. You have to decide which few things mean the most to you and put everything else second. I have packed in two major drains on my time in the last three years and it has made a hell of a difference. Placing on one side family which is first I have just three things I now concentrate on, dogs, wildfowling and fishing in that order.

Know what you are saying, sold the sports bike and bought a new motorbike last summer for touring on, had one jolly to France this September and got more to Europe planned for this year, with the shooting and helping out on some farms plus a full time job and jobs around my own house, always something to do, sometimes things feel like a chore but this is what keeps us going and not turning into couch potatoes.

I know one farmer that well into his eighties and still works everyday, he told me this week that when the farm was milking he did not have a day off for over 25 years, I'm sure if he stopped now he would die of boredom.

Mick

Yep, only got out on the mountain bike twice last year, didn't get out on the road bike or the motorbike and only got to the gym a hand full of times, BUT did a lot of shooting, this year I'll be selling the motor bike and will still shoot and I'll be trying to get out on the bike a bit more (the mountain bike may get sold though as it takes up a whole day with travel), I've seen my fitness drop massively due to the lack of gym and cycling so will pick that up again (the gym should be the easiest as I can go there at 6am).

I firmly believe that we should have multiple hobbies and interests as our brains are powerful tools that need regular exercise - ultimately it comes down to a question of priorities.   The nature of this forum means most of us have practical 'get-out-there-and-do-something' inclinations whereas it kind of feels that much of the population are sat on their tails in front of the TV.  Keep it up lads.😁 

I guess it depends a bit if you have hobbies that require time and/or money to do them justice.

I'm mid-40's now so my hobbies/priorities are changing a little.

Used to play a lot of hockey - that meant being out for most of Saturday, particulartly if we had to travel. Now I pick and choose local games and don't play every week. I also umpire, so I'm not so knackered. That allows me to limit my exposure and free up some time.

I also like mountain biking (been at it since 1990) but that can also be an away day if you need to travel. And I can't do hockey and MTB in the same weekend due to time/fatigue (age).  I am lucky that I have local MTB friends and we can do a local loop from my front door in 90 mins. We go out at 8.30am on Sunday and I'm home by 10. That frees up time to do other things/chores.

I also like to shoot (when possible), walk dogs and spend time with my missus and help with her horse.

I did also scuba dive but not been abroad for 7 years. I hope to get back into it one day when the mortgage is paid off and I have more free time. That does take more time/money and is really a holiday treat.

I like having a variety of interests, as I'll slowly move away from one and will take up more of another. If I had just my sports, I'd have nothing to do when I'm older.

Just need to win the lottery and retire and I can do them all!

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Retirement is the only way forward at least then you have more time to fill. Everyone says the same 'that in retirement they don't know how they had time for work'. 

That is very true, but I have my shooting, gardening, cooking, collecting, horology, industrial archaelogy, visiting NT and country house properties (UK only), not to mention the occasional go at fishing (read untangling line).  Plus an large(ish) listed house and garden to keep up, an ageing Defender to keep on the road ........

I'm never short of a long list of 'jobs that need doing'.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I think with the modern day of living we have got to many things on offer at a touch of a switch , we can now get from a A to B in the comfort of our motors and financially we can try more and more sports we have got a slight interest in .

Take game shooting for instance , now the majority of people can easily save up for a walk and stand day , or a full day on the peg , this was not the case when I was young as the only game you would see were on the posh estates , if you were into shooting and lived close to the shooting grounds then in our case it was wild fowling , then out of season it was Pigeon shooting followed by a bit of fishing from our gun punts until the new season started again .

The chaps who I knew were dedicated to there one sport and would fill the out of the season during the above , then when the season rolled round again that would be all they would talk about , even the wild fowling meetings were a night out worth going to, whereas now you get hardly anyone there as any fresh news come as Emails.

I don't think everything have changed for the better .

I've had to give up fishing to make room for more shooting. I had to do it otherwise I wouldn't see my boy grow up. Between working 6 days a week - every week, life's been a bit hectic this last few years. Top it off I Motd the bike and only done 300 miles since the last one 😕 Now ive got decking to build, and make 2 sheds, service all my tools, house upkeep, keep her happy, cars ect ect I'm absolutely ****ed. Just got out of hospital because my hearts playing up, think I'm going to have to calm down this year or find some valium... 

Not enough time in the day

Shooting, rough and clays, airgunning, pest control, guitar, motorsport both sponsorship and pit lane, classic cars driving and renovating, spraying, repair and renovation (my job, always make your hobby your job), toy collecting(dinky and corgi), drinking, beer festivals, reading, full time mentor to the next Adrian Newey, gaming, fitness. And sex. Lots of sex. 

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Absolutely agree with this. The hardest thing is to say No! I think after sixty years I have learned the lesson. You have to decide which few things mean the most to you and put everything else second. I have packed in two major drains on my time in the last three years and it has made a hell of a difference. Placing on one side family which is first I have just three things I now concentrate on, dogs, wildfowling and fishing in that order.

What did you pack in? 

I might try and limit my shooting next year and do more time working the dog (maybe more beating and rough shooting rather than driven), and get back into the gym. 

I managed to get up early this morning and take the dog for a short run (more of a plod). Now to just keep it up. 

Edited by Lloyd90

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What did you pack in? 

I might try and limit my shooting next year and do more time working the dog (maybe more beating and rough shooting rather than driven), and get back into the gym. 

I managed to get up early this morning and take the dog for a short run (more of a plod). Now to just keep it up. 

Packed in Scuba diving and sold almost all my kit. Packed in karate after 25 years and as an instructor, when I moved to Scotland. That was really time consuming as you just had to be there for the lessons like it or not and I didn’t want to start again north of the border.

Hobbies are mainly on a back burner due to work commitments these days. I get out with the dogs but have only been fishing and shooting handful of times in the past year. Even then it’s just a short two/three hour session rather than the full days outings of previous year’s 

19 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

As per title, is their such a thing as having to many Interests.

I used to think that it was a positive thing,however lately I have found that they are beginning to weigh me down a bit and Im finding it hard to keep up with everything. Having duties and also many things are getting put on the back burner due to other interests taking up the time.

A midlife crisis possibly?

I felt like this End of last season, i just no longer enjoy game shooting or my involvement in it. It steals time from my wildfowling and My Foxing too. And for so little gain for me any more.  I had a couple of good days on pigeons before Packham got it stopped and we were in limbo for several months. I had no other shooting but foxing, So i turned my attention to Motorcycle trials a hobby i have done all my life and i really enjoyed the extra involvement in it, i had time to help set out the course and had more time to travel and get involved over in Yorkshire and started visiting two other clubs events and i was so glad i did, it re kindled my enthusiasm for the sport, and i even bought a twin shock to go with my classics and modern trialers. Through a new aquaintance in one of the clubs i started into Sporting car trials, and again this spurred me to get back to work on a SC trials car build i started and left abandoned 5 years or so ago.

Throughout the packham averey uncertainty, My Trials involvement had grown to such an extent that when we were back on for pigeons again. I went but only twice i was too busy on my Bikes, and the beauty was my foxing was totaly unaffected nor did it clash with the trials like the saturday and mid week game shooting did.  I went local on partridge early season but that was it this year and the season closed meaning very little to me any more.

I think its like a natural selection, and you know what your not needing anymore in your life, just do what you feel you want to do. i can not do without Fox shooting i know that, and again wildfowling bi can not get by without that, and i do like crow shooting but getting back heavy into trials its been a big eye opener for me, and i think this next season i will just wildfowling and foxing with trials of a weekend, i think game has to go at the moment its just not doing it for me anymore. I do hunt deer and will do that but its only ever been about freezer filling for me anyway, my true hunting hobby is foxing and always has been, that and my Life as a wildfowler are all i need in my ever declining years.

My advice is dont panic just pick the things you want to do. and do them, we are only here once and life is too short for habitual hobbies we get little from.

17 minutes ago, London Best said:

Shooting has never been my hobby.  I have had various hobbies, but........

Shooting is a way of life to me.

Agree up to a point, but from my own personal standpoint if you were to just say  Wildfowling. Or even foxing i would agree, other types of shooting can be way too sterile and un involving. For me at least wildfowling is the cream. The thing that breaks my heart, is i know its going to go the antis will take it away from us, and my family who have a whole lifetime to see what we have seen will never die wildfowling to the end. There are times even now i wonder if i will pass away in a time of wildfowling. I can not think of a worse time for shooting as now. The police the Packhams media funding, its looking bad for us all, add to this the lack of unity in our ranks, and Sorry i think we ultimately face oblivion. I really want to be upbeat about our future, but i just can not see a way through. we genuinely do need a miracle.

Edited by lancer425