Having too many Interests/hobbies

SuperGoose75

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great responses and I think I can take something from most.

The one that mentions the OCD/Hoarder comparison stands out and I think I suffer from a bit of both and that could be part of the problem in my case.

I have many Interests but being an organised person by nature and like things neat and in there proper place "so I know where to find them" when I need them.

We have to move house soon and I'm dreading it to be honest. I have so much stuff and a lot because of various interests.

There rarely is a time when there is a case to be idle. I liked it that way.

Apart from all the usual duties and countryside hobbies I'm into sports, mostly following my County team in two codes. I used to play and was quite successful at under age up until I was involved in a serious RTA that ended my competitive sporting career. That is were Shooting played a major role in my life after that and Like anything I do I put 100% effort into it.

Now I have two children who I put first and foremost and my boy has taken a serious interest in my previous sports. I'm actually the manager of his age group team.I got vetted and Child protection course done and have attended numerous coaching seminars and its basically become an obsession. I'm back involved with my old club and love it to be honest. It is however time consuming and runs most of the year with training nights ect.! It defiently affected my time spent in the countryside. I'm not willing to give up up shooting anytime soon butI I often feel quilty if Im not putting enough into one or the other! 

I haven't mentioned other interests and some that I feel I won't get around too. I like reading/writing and poetry and also have a big interest in cooking. I feel Ive been run off my feet this year past and am going around in circles sometimes trying to fit it all in.

I'll probably continue trying to fit it all in until something gives "Hopefully it's not me'' lol .

Thanks for the replies and good to see people are making the most of life with their various interests.👍

58 minutes ago, SuperGoose75 said:

The one that mentions the OCD/Hoarder comparison stands out and I think I suffer from a bit of both and that could be part of the problem in my case.

I have many Interests but being an organised person by nature and like things neat and in there proper place "so I know where to find them" when I need them.

That is my situation exactly. My garage looks like an outdoor outfitter superstore! Just kit. No dirty tools or cars, they're somewhere else 😁To be honest , I find gear management/maintenance quite draining, but don't want to sounds like a whinging millennial with extreme first world problems 😀

I also have a wife/child and work full time, so it's hard to get a balance and I don't always get it right. 

On 03/01/2020 at 10:42, Arron yeates said:

Fair play mate, ive got a african cichlid setup love it. Your tank looks nice.

Screenshot_20200103-121437_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200103-121446_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200103-121451_Gallery.jpg

I always liked Africans cichlids 

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

That is my situation exactly. My garage looks like an outdoor outfitter superstore! Just kit. No dirty tools or cars, they're somewhere else 😁To be honest , I find gear management/maintenance quite draining, but don't want to sounds like a whinging millennial with extreme first world problems 😀

I also have a wife/child and work full time, so it's hard to get a balance and I don't always get it right. 

My garage looks like a tornado went through a Junk sale.  But the second you step into the house the wife had it quite clean and neat. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My garage looks like a tornado went through a Junk sale.  But the second you step into the house the wife had it quite clean and neat. 

It's the other way round at my place. I've slowly lost the battle in the house and garden to my wife and son. I've retreated to the garage where I'm making my last stand. It is a bastion of order and civility and no one else may enter unless under direct supervision 😀

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My F1 spotted synodontis's are lovely fish in there aswell. Just about to start the weekly water clean...... mehhhhhh lol

20191227_193213.jpg

I sometimes wish I could be the guy who who could concentrate on one thing but I find my mind drifts from one thing to another and back again. I don't have the money or time to do everything or pursue each hobby fully. My list is as follows Cycling.camping. caravaning ,dogs and dog breeding, ham radio, photography, hill walking, shotguns ,air rifles ,beer brewing,electronics, steam punk and travel ( I'm sure there are other things I have missed) Sometimes I manage to do a few hobbies together. I have a day job plus a small business for my retirement 7 dogs five kids and 8 grand kids. 

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

I enjoy the variety of what I do … generally keeping fit is a must as I work in a chip factory … this drives gym all year round, cycling in the summer, and hockey in the winter.

Shooting wise I also do a bit of most things … most clay disciplines, but never enough sporting to be as good as I could be, enough wildfowling to keep the freezer stocked, pigeon and crow shooting when I get the opportunity, and as much game shooting as I can afford (never enough), plus the requisite cooking to convert into food. Add in a responsible job, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a reloading habit then I'm normally busy doing something.

Next on the list is a spot of fly fishing (pencilled in for later life), and I'd love to do some proper highland stalking … a full day out in awesome countryside appeals to me a lot, and I should get it done before my knees are shot.