RSPCA

hawkeye

Well good start to the year just had a visit from above apparently some one had complained that i have a bird in a cage in my garden,,( magpie larsen trap )

Asked who had reported this and got "sorry cannot tell you "and why do you have a bird in a cage in your garden, told her i don't have one ( had till last Sunday it was dead when i got back from clay shooting  ) 

and if i did it would be to catch magpies and kill them to give the smaller song birds a chance, " have you proof that they kill song birds " and do you know the general licence has changed.

So i told her i was up to date with the GL and asked her if she would like to see for herself, so took her through the bungalow as its the only access to my back garden,

Showed her the cage ( empty ) sat on the gravel when asked why i had it just pointed to the roof of house that backs onto me there was 13 ( unlucky for some ).magpies sat on there roof.

Told  her i had seen them raid a blackbirds nest in my garden last year and kill the 3 young ones.

She did say if it had been out in the country they would not have even bothered coming out to check but they had to because it was in a town..

She was happy with what i told her that the bird was fed and had fresh water every day.

Bloody nosey neighbours think i know which one will be having a quiet word in the near future, I have a high fence round my garden so where it was placed the only one that could have seen it is the one directly at the bottom of my garden and then only through small gaps in the fence boards where they had shrunk ( weathered ) since being put up 3 years ago..

I'm running a larsen trap in my garden just now every time the dogs leave there bowl or even a bone out the place is swamped with crows and magpies , my wife says put it away at the top where nobody can see it but its empty with china eggs in one side and a bone in the other , i dont think the neighbours would complain as even they moan about the crows but its a snowflake world these days 

Before I moved into the sticks, I had a Larsen in my garden.  A neighbour reported me to the RSPCA and when the ‘inspector’ knocked on my door I was about to tell her to sling her hook, but as I knew I was doing everything legally, I let her in to take a look.  I was really surprised with her reaction after telling her I’d caught 15 birds so far - she was really pleased and supported protecting the song birds.  I completely disagree with how the RSPCA operate and try and conduct themselves as an official/enforcement body, but I was genuinely taken aback by the reaction I got from the woman who turned up at mine that day.

3 hours ago, hawkeye said:

Well good start to the year just had a visit from above apparently some one had complained that i have a bird in a cage in my garden,,( magpie larsen trap )

Asked who had reported this and got "sorry cannot tell you "and why do you have a bird in a cage in your garden, told her i don't have one ( had till last Sunday it was dead when i got back from clay shooting  ) 

and if i did it would be to catch magpies and kill them to give the smaller song birds a chance, " have you proof that they kill song birds " and do you know the general licence has changed.

So i told her i was up to date with the GL and asked her if she would like to see for herself, so took her through the bungalow as its the only access to my back garden,

Showed her the cage ( empty ) sat on the gravel when asked why i had it just pointed to the roof of house that backs onto me there was 13 ( unlucky for some ).magpies sat on there roof.

Told  her i had seen them raid a blackbirds nest in my garden last year and kill the 3 young ones.

She did say if it had been out in the country they would not have even bothered coming out to check but they had to because it was in a town..

She was happy with what i told her that the bird was fed and had fresh water every day.

Bloody nosey neighbours think i know which one will be having a quiet word in the near future, I have a high fence round my garden so where it was placed the only one that could have seen it is the one directly at the bottom of my garden and then only through small gaps in the fence boards where they had shrunk ( weathered ) since being put up 3 years ago..

Seriously you need to bone up on how to deal with them. 

I had them round a couple of years ago

they had a complaint, I asked who as 2 days earlier somone smashed the top off the trap to release the call bird.

so was interested about trespassing and damage,

the numptie standing there in his pretend police uniform didnt seem to have a clue why I would be trapping magpies,

1 hour ago, old man said:

Seriously you need to bone up on how to deal with them. 

Why she was quite pleasant and i was brought up to be civil to people but don't worry i can mix it with the best of them if they start trying to be officious..

She did not ask to come in if she had i would have refused, i invited her in she fully agreed to me protecting song birds after i had explained to her why i had the trap and was catching magpies..

We chatted for quite a while about song bird protection she was all for it..

Also why should i need to bone up on how to deal with them..

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Tell em you are complying with the law, but also point out, by their standing on your doorstep they are not! They are trespassing on your property! Consequently, you require them to sling their hook!.....

Do you treat everyone that comes to your front door in this manner Im 73 end of this month and i am always polite to callers ( thats the way i was brought up )unless they give me reason not to then don't worry i can be a right nasty old ******* when i want ...

34 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

Do you treat everyone that comes to your front door in this manner Im 73 end of this month and i am always polite to callers ( thats the way i was brought up )unless they give me reason not to then don't worry i can be a right nasty old ******* when i want ...

Yes, I treat everyone who calls uninvited to my front door with suspicion! Because it is unlikely they are there for my benefit!.....I know I have not done, and am not doing, anything unlawful, so why would I cooperate with someone without any authority or credibility such as some employee of a charity, nosing about in my business?