Veganism a Religion??

NatureBoy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

If any publicity around it highlights a lot of vegan and LACS double standards it's got to be good. Only people that will benefit from them are the few big food and nutrition companies that want to control the food chain!  NB

I don't see any double standards from LACS, unless I'm missing something.

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I read that he was sacked for pointing out that LACS had a pension fund that invested in companies involved in animal testing... why as a charity do LACS have pensions.. i also wonder how much the charity pays the staff......from donations

The fact that LACS were investing in the pension funds of companies that were involved in animal testing was (he claims) against his ethical vegan philosophy!

LACS were not investing in their own, but in other companies pension schemes......I don’t know if they have a pension scheme!

If you google “charity chief executives salary/expenses” you’ll see it’s common for charities to pay their employees a kings ransom in salary/exes....that’s why I no longer donate to most charities.

Thanks Ditchy, I had lost track with all of the excitement over veggies.

I never dreamed that veggies would be able to make Law, to peel and slice will be an offence as the kitchen may become designated a Public Place?

I am tempter to ponder what our founding fathers would think of this progress?

Can someone please explain to this old thing how a single ruling by an employment tribunal can affect  Law? ?

Veganism is what we used to call "a fad".  That is all it is.

There have been lots of 'fads' about food related things - some are based in fact, others just 'crank ideas' that get 'celebrity' publicity, usually from a so called celebrity no one has ever heard of.  Back in the 70's there was a big fad against animal fats and dairy (we were supposed to use Flora and similar instead) and to eat polyunsaturates instead.  This was discredited.

Certain religions have food restrictions, some (Buddhists I believe?) and some don't eat certain meat types (Jews, Muslims, Hindus).  That is a different matter. 

Different cultures eat different meats - for example the French eat horse meat, but most British wouldn't (knowingly anyway), the Japanese eat whale - and again many other nations wouldn't for either conservation reasons, or because it isn't to their tastes.

According to some legal eagle on the news it won’t actually make much difference at all and is largely a horn trumpeting issue - they posed the idea that a butcher decides to become an ethical vegan and therefore decides they can’t handle meat, but then you can’t sack them as they are following their ethical beliefs - he believed previous precedent on similar cases shows that you could sack them as they had effectively rendered themselves unable to perform the job

im sure some lawyers will make some coin which is ultimately what these matters always descend into

Surely religion needs some sort of diety or group of them? Or a point of origins. 

Even the scientology lot (😂🤣😂🤣) worship to some "greater beings". 

Its all a bit pointless I'm my humble, we are products of our environment, and while "life as we know it" may be restricted to this planet, life as we can't yet comprehend more than likely exists all over our galaxy and the further universe. 

Not looking to rattle anyone's beliefs but going to Holy war over who's messiah was the invisible sky mans best mate is pointless to the extreme. 

This philosophical belief thing is an interesting one. There was a case last year where (if I recall correctly) basic vegetarianism was ruled not to be such. 

The tribunals will have to continue making decisions on this, some of which will affect future law/decisions, and some won't. 

Last year also, a doctor tried to sue his ex-employer saying that he was discriminated against because (due to his Christian beliefs) he felt unable to refer to a man as a woman. He went down the religious discrimination route, which in my opinion was never going to work. 

13 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Last year also, a doctor tried to sue his ex-employer saying that he was discriminated against because (due to his Christian beliefs) he felt unable to refer to a man as a woman. He went down the religious discrimination route, which in my opinion was never going to work. 

Depends on the religion I suppose ...:ninja:

Don't know if anyone has seen John Bishops- Australia series!

I happened to catch an episode late at night (probably a repeat) over Christmas. Now I didn't know Bishop was a Vegan/Vegetarian which ever he is. Apparently he was in an abattoir as a child and the sight of a carcass revolted him hence his dicission to not eat meat.

In this episode he visited a Crocodile farm and was present in the abattoir with Crocs hanging dead ready for processing.  The owner of the farm put across very well how his farm is actually saving the species (I think Saltwater Crocodile) and gave Bishop a whole new train of thought. Well worth a watch if anyone can find it!

I also just found out "Meatloaf" is also a Vegan. Think there is a bit of Irony in that somehow.

Edited by SuperGoose75

27 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

It's Meat Loaf, he is legally Mr Loaf!

Fair enough! Although a quick google reveals it was a resemblence to "the flesh of an animal'' as a baby that the name Meat derived from!

Apparently Frankie and Benny approached him and tried to get him to change his name to "Veg Loaf".

Put off meat after being served a rabbit with head intact and ears missing in a restaurant.🥩🥖🐰. Had to go back to eating meat because of health problems.

1 minute ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Apparently Frankie and Benny approached him and tried to get him to change his name to "Veg Loaf".

Put off meat after being served a rabbit with head intact and ears missing in a restaurant.🥩🥖🐰. Had to go back to eating meat because of health problems.

lol Didn't know that.

It's funny, I wouldn't go into a butchers as a kid. I didn't like handling raw meat when I first started cooking for myself. But never has it crossed my mind to be vegetarian.

I'm told that if you start going on veggie or vegan websites you will soon start getting unsolicited emails from all sorts of protest groups like extinction rebellion and animal rights. Probably momentum etc as well.

I see it as a recruiting portal and there may be a hidden agenda.

Adults may see it for what it is but kids are more easily drawn in.