Gas 2 electric prices

hawkeye

Difficult to give an answer as cost will vary depending on your location and supplier, we are with Avro Energy on dual tariff (gas & elec) and saved around £150 pounds from our previous supplier.

I do a comparison every year or two using a number of comparison sites such as confused.com, uswitch.com, switch.which.co.uk and Moneysupermarket.com, if you know your annual gas and electric usage in £ or Kwh just use the sites above to find the cheapest supplier, at present Octypus Energy look good…https://octopus.energy/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpLNhLLl5gIViaztCh2PGw-hEAAYBCAAEgLpKvD_BwE

Have a look at which site..https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/best-and-worst-energy-companies/which-energy-survey-results

We are with bulb. It’s a vari tarrif but with no penalty. 
the last 2 times it’s gone down. 
No smart meter though. 

In our area it’s one of the cheapest - there are a few unknown suppliers marginally cheaper  

I have a referral code that will give you £50 credit if your interested. 

Edited by ph5172

I was with Flow - who were amalgamated with Co-operative Energy - who have been taken over by Octopus.

• Flow was pretty good.  (Chosen from a comparison site originally about 3 years ago)
  • CoOp seemed less competitive on price.
  • Octopus - OK so far, but early days yet.

Whoever you go to - you may well end up with another provided because the market is a mass of takeovers and new start ups.  Last year (around April) I did a comparison.  Flow were then 'reasonably' priced.  Not the cheapest, but not all that much more.  I decided to stay with them as service had been good on the rare occasions I had contacted them.  Since then two of the possible 'cheaper ones' suggested by comparison sites have ceased trading.

Note that if you provider goes out of business - you are not 'cut off' but will end up with another provider who may not be cheapest, and there may be some confusion about any refunds of any credit balance.  It is not a good idea to get a long way in credit.

You can get cheaper rates from the tiny suppliers as they don’t have to pay the green levy, if you live somewhere they service. 

The problem is they get too big, get given a bill by HMRC and then can’t make a profit so go bust and you end up changing fairly often. 

7 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

Been with Octopus about 2 years now, no complaints. And no pestering to have a smart meter either.

7 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

Been with Octopus about 2 years now, no complaints. And no pestering to have a smart meter either.

Lots of good feedback about this provider, will be looking in 12mths.

13 hours ago, Davyo said:

I was with EDF, NIGHTMARE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Switched to British Gas, even worse.Bring back COAL fires and sod climate change!!!!

Same reason I binned EDF energy, absolutely terrible company. British Gas were a new low point for me and I use them now as a litmus test for all other companies, regarding shocking customer service, from staff who could barely speak English. How they are still in business amazes me.

28 minutes ago, Taileron said:

How they are still in business amazes me.

One of the reasons is that they 'inherited' a very large customer base from the old 'pre deregulation' days of a state owned monopoly ...... a good proportion of whom have never shopped around or moved.  State owned monopolies with a totally captive market do not need to 'please' customers.

8 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

I was with Octopus for a couple of years on a fixed price tariff. when it came to the end they wanted to put the price up dramatically.

I am now with Zebra on a fixed tariff, will look to move to another good deal as it comes to an end.

I have electric only & got recommended to them from a friend who has been with them 6 months & found them easy to deal with. A lot of people were recommending them too at work & as said you get £50 credit on your account & the same for whoever recommends you. I was with Npower, but after various cock ups costing me a lot of £ I switched to a cheaper tariff with bulb. Npower did at least waive the £30 exit fee that was put on whilst looking for a cheaper tarrif.

Dan.

Well plenty to think about Octopus is looking good at the moment not due to change till end this month before then if i switch the exit fees kick in £60 for each one electric and gas ..

they have had enough from me over the last few years so they are not going to get another £120.....

PS that mainly been me to lazy to shop about 😲

I've been with Octapus for a year now and the new tarrif will be around a fiver a month less, not a lot I know but every little helps. You do have to send in monthly reading's but it's very simple. All customers get a link to forward to other's, for each new customer via the link you both get £50 credit to your account. 

We are with octopus as well and I have switched the outlaws and saved them a packet over British Gas. We are on the rolling tariff now as it seems to stay competitive enough for me not to want to bother changing.  Customer service has been good and the app is dead easy to make sure readings are up to date and you know where you are.  If you want £50 credit use this link 

https://share.octopus.energy/fun-river-729