Festive pheasants on our small syndicate

Big Al

This is a compilation of three pheasant shoot days - 14th and 26th December and 1st January.

I shot well on 2 days but not so well on the third. Too much turkey!

Bear got a blackthorn in his paw on Boxing Day so was out of action on the third day. He developed an abscess with then burst so im trying to keep it very clean. Hes on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories. He wasn't very happy about staying at home!

Anyway,  I hope this is of interest to some of you.

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Brilliant as always.  The film not the shooting:yay::lol:

About right!

36 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Thank you for the post Big Al. Some very nice shooting at 6.49 and 12.00      

I thought a few where a tad low but you know your ground better than I . The dogs  were just fabulous Ted and Bear. I hope Bear gets fit and is back to normal soon.    

Thanks. Yes, we shoot over flat ground so we need to know the stands well.

2 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Al,

Excellent videos as always, keep em coming and hope the dogs well soon!

Thanks- the wee dog is for the vet in the morning again, so hopefully it won't be too long before he's back in action. He's driving my wife mad around the house! No exercise allowed and all that energy!

6 hours ago, greylag said:

Another great adventure, excellent shooting and dog work.Can't beat a great day out with friends.Hope the dog is better soon.

Thanks greylag. Going to try for the ducks tomorrow- scouted the tidal flats today but full of light bellied Brent. Lough Neagh it is then .....

6 hours ago, wigeon jim said:

Proper pheasant shooting ,. Great looking place,. Jim.

Its a lovely spot. Great cover for birds but hard on the dogs.  They love it too though. The wee man is more than a little bit unhappy about his absence.

5 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Great Big Al I’m sure you enjoyed getting out for a few pheasants over the Christmas 🎄 holidays get your head a bit of peace Hope Bear doing well mate 👍👍👍

Cheers Gerry. Aye, it's good for the soul. Scouted that coastal spot yesterday but it was full of light bellied Brent and not much else! I ended up back at Lough Neagh- had a great morning but was trying a new camera- I missed most of the action as I didn't realise that it switches itself off after 29 mins. Pain in the butt.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I really enjoy your videos Al. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks mate. I enjoy making them. I appreciate your comment.

50 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Cheers Gerry. Aye, it's good for the soul. Scouted that coastal spot yesterday but it was full of light bellied Brent and not much else! I ended up back at Lough Neagh- had a great morning but was trying a new camera- I missed most of the action as I didn't realise that it switches itself off after 29 mins. Pain in the butt.

Thanks mate. I enjoy making them. I appreciate your comment.

No problem Big Al was texting the guy HR Off that club (coastal area) last week il find out in the summer if my application successfull think I’m next on the list fingers crossed If you manage any camera action on coast before the season ends would be great 👍 Some lovely high pheasants at that shoot your on Thanks again for posting another great video 👍

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Cracking as always Al, are you still using 1/4 and 1/2 with 30g 6's?

Some of them birds looked a good distance off. 

Thanks Lloyd. There were a few I was pretty pleased to connect with!

Sometimes 1/2 and 3/4 chokes - I'm not too particular but if I've been at the ducks recently they'll likely be the tighter combination.  Lead 32g 6's for most of the shooting. If I'm near water I use steel 32g 4,s. We use the "Scottish " system for non-toxic here - it's not what you're shooting, but where.

Thanks for the comment. 

10 hours ago, Big Al said:

Thanks Lloyd. There were a few I was pretty pleased to connect with!

Sometimes 1/2 and 3/4 chokes - I'm not too particular but if I've been at the ducks recently they'll likely be the tighter combination.  Lead 32g 6's for most of the shooting. If I'm near water I use steel 32g 4,s. We use the "Scottish " system for non-toxic here - it's not what you're shooting, but where.

Thanks for the comment. 

Logical sense with the non-toxic then :) Keep the video's coming mate I always check in on here to see if you've posted any :)