Australian bush fires

figgy

Just watched a clip on sky news if the Ozzy PM being told to f off and he's not wanted people shouting go on F off. As he walks to his car and goes away. 

Feelings running Highland he is getting blame for not putting enough resources into the fight.

6 minutes ago, bluesj said:

What could he do? Sooner people realise bush fires, earth quacks,  and volcanoes etc happen the better! Its a bit like people ranting about the roads here when it snows but no one wants to pay to have the gritters and snow ploughs just in case

I heard about those big ducks😂  (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

Just watched a clip on sky news if the Ozzy PM being told to f off and he's not wanted people shouting go on F off. As he walks to his car and goes away. 

Feelings running Highland he is getting blame for not putting enough resources into the fight.

hello, i see that figgy and dont forget in all this terrible situation he went on holiday !!!!!!

i put a post on here back in October regarding fires out there as we have family serving in RFS , yes few starting deliberately ,  one started by arson then the rfs had to save the arsonist house from the fire he had started  hes in jail at the  waiting trial ,then they were fighting 1 fire 2x size of Hampshire ,no mention on national news here unlike the Californian fires that were half the size ,until someone died ,the fires being shown on tv at the mo had already happened up coast in NSW fires meeting the sea etc , lots started by embers travelling on the wind some parts of NSW  been on drought for 4 years ,

A mate in Adellaide  says they have fires in the mountains there now .

as for the PM well what an A hole ,apparantyley already turned down aid from Canada etc before going off on his holiday s

I don't know a lot about it, but I read that the bush used to be control burned and fire breaks maintained, but that has been stopped in recent times for 'environmental reasons' (or cost savings depending on who you listen to). 

I find it hard to believe that where the areas are so VAST as they are in Australia - that the bush could be 'maintained', but it is what some are saying.  Others have said it has been too dry to do controlled burns safely.

Reminds me of our moors that burned so badly due to lack of proper regular management by controlled burn at a low risk time of year.

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

I believe they just burned away uncontrolled before white people arrived.

I guess the aborigines had more sense that to build their homes in the middle of a fire zone.

you wouldn't see us building in a flood zone! oh wait  

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't know a lot about it, but I read that the bush used to be control burned and fire breaks maintained, but that has been stopped in recent times for 'environmental reasons' (or cost savings depending on who you listen to). 

I find it hard to believe that where the areas are so VAST as they are in Australia - that the bush could be 'maintained', but it is what some are saying.  Others have said it has been too dry to do controlled burns safely.

Reminds me of our moors that burned so badly due to lack of proper regular management by controlled burn at a low risk time of year.

I believe the indigenous people of what is now Yellowstone National Park also started fires millennia ago, for numerous reasons, and the authorities tried putting an end to it for similar reasons as you mention above. The result was that growth became dense and when the inevitable fire broke out the fires burned much more intensely and closer to the ground than previously, with much more dire results. 
I watched a programme just before Christmas regarding Australia’s flora and fauna, and it indeed showed aborigines starting bush fires in the uppermost NW regions, with a Black Hawk ( referred to locally as the Firebird ) picking up burning embers to drop elsewhere to start yet more fires in order to feed on the resultant fleeing prey. Interesting programme. 

Edited by Scully

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I believe the indigenous people of what is now Yellowstone National Park also started fires millennia ago, for numerous reasons, and the authorities tried putting an end to it for similar reasons as you mention above. The result was that growth became dense and when the inevitable fire broke out the fires burned much more intensely and closer to the ground than previously, with much more dire results. 
I watched a programme just before Christmas regarding Australia’s flora and fauna, and it indeed showed aborigines starting bush fires in the uppermost NW regions, with a Black Hawk ( referred to locally as the Firebird ) picking up burning embers to drop elsewhere to start yet more fires in order to feed on the resultant fleeing prey. Interesting programme. 

Must have learnt it from the White people

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Every district or shire as they are known has strict rules concerning fires , usually signalled by road signage telling of risks anyone caught breaking them are in serious trouble ,as I posted earlier regarding arson ,floating embers in the wind another factor I’d fag butts being tossed out of car windows are another fire hazard  this has now been made a criminal offence ,

21 hours ago, biketestace said:

Why cant other countries help, including the armed forces ??

What armed forces? Hardly any left in the UK. Those that are left are utterly miserable and counting down the days. When I was a fireman a few years back ( op fresco ) we were provided with knackered old appliances, virtually zero training.

Im amazed a world crisis has not been called..

Amazing isn’t it? The lack of support shown by fellow developed countries is not good. NZ has pledged what they can and yet Indonesia, that Australia send over $600 millions in support a year, hasn’t even sent a blanket. 

Im amazed a world crisis has not been called..

Apparently others offered assistance but pm turned it down more interested on going on holiday then can’t understand why he gets a hostile reception from those affected 

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The whole thing is very sad, can't believe people were not cutting fire breaks on their own property!

Difficult where uncle is on the side of the hill with trees all around the leaf litter is impossible to clear ,last time I was there power company where clearing weeds etc from power lines 

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The whole thing is very sad, can't believe people were not cutting fire breaks on their own property!

Even if you cut fire breaks all it needs is a spark to land in the litter or brush to start it off again. It's also quite a thing to see how forest fires can move, a lot tend to jump from top to top very fast due to the wind leaving the rest of the tree to burn from the top down and it's not unknown for the breaks to be breached too. In extreme cases you just have to retreat.