Mid-week shooting in North/West Yorkshire?

LeedsZeppelin

Rufforth or it's full name north of England ctc

Open for practice on Wednesday 26p per clay

Also open by appointment every other day but you have to make appointment and need someone to button.

Also if you want to travel a bit further and like the trap disciplines try Beverley weds,Thursday, Friday 28p per clay.

Then if you want sporting only try thimbleby, open everyday bar Monday. Thursday and Tuesday 22p per clay.

Non of the three above have membership stipulation.

However if you fancy park lodge like someone suggested be prepared to pay 35p per clay

Thanks all. It looks like I've got quiet the choice to keep me going for a while.

10 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I think park lodge might be the closest that are consistently open during the week. Other than that Otley chevin open from 5pm on tuesdays in the summer. Hazelbank in Knaresborough also open Tuesday evenings in the summer

I'll have a look at Park Lodge. I shoot Yorkgate at Otley Chevin on Sundays, I'll be shooting there Tuesdays again when the summer league starts again.

Someone mentioned HazelBank to me elsewhere, and told me they shoot sportrap under floodlights on a Wednesday evening. Any chance if you know if that is members only?

9 hours ago, Rupert said:

Marne barracks on a wednesday afternoon for a set layout, Brandsburton, pinewood, for a practice round.In addition to others mentioned here

DTL or Sporting?

Is Marne the one at Catterick garrison? That's just up the A1 from me. Any good? I'll check out the others too.

I usually shoot sporting, but I'm open to trying other disciplines.

7 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Rufforth or it's full name north of England ctc

Open for practice on Wednesday 26p per clay

Also open by appointment every other day but you have to make appointment and need someone to button.

Also if you want to travel a bit further and like the trap disciplines try Beverley weds,Thursday, Friday 28p per clay.

Then if you want sporting only try thimbleby, open everyday bar Monday. Thursday and Tuesday 22p per clay.

Non of the three above have membership stipulation.

However if you fancy park lodge like someone suggested be prepared to pay 35p per clay

Thanks, I'll have a look into them. Is Park Lodge worth the extra 10p per clay?

2 hours ago, Westley said:

Kelbrook Lodge, check their website. Take your own food midweek.

Thanks for the tip. How would you rate Kelbrook against Coniston? They are about the same distance from me.

Marne is excellent, on wednesdays when im not in work i go and its 65 miles from me, you must, as in you wont get on the base if you dont,have photo id on you, its a 50 or 60 bird layout every wednesday, and different on a sunday, they shoot in the league, no food mid week but brews for a donation to a charity,  there is a FB page and a website. Its £10 for 60 less if you are a menber.Banter is Fierce and sarcasm abounds(in a good way)

We started our selves at Yorkgate in 2009 before Phil took the reins.

the advantage with marne over other grounds is that you will have company to go round with, not always a given at Kelbrook or Coniston. and Tony put the effort in to change the layout every week. I will be going Week on wed.

Park lodge is not worth the extra.

Edited by Rupert

7 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

Well that's your call, you can reduce that to 28p if you are prepared to stump up £90 per year membership.

However the other grounds I mentioned don't require any membership fees and are as cheap or cheaper.

My advice would be to have a good look around at the grounds mentioned, that's what I did and now I never go to park lodge anymore.

15 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

Thanks all. It looks like I've got quiet the choice to keep me going for a while.

I'll have a look at Park Lodge. I shoot Yorkgate at Otley Chevin on Sundays, I'll be shooting there Tuesdays again when the summer league starts again.

Someone mentioned HazelBank to me elsewhere, and told me they shoot sportrap under floodlights on a Wednesday evening. Any chance if you know if that is members only?

Is Marne the one at Catterick garrison? That's just up the A1 from me. Any good? I'll check out the others too.

I usually shoot sporting, but I'm open to trying other disciplines.

Thanks for the tip. How would you rate Kelbrook against Coniston? They are about the same distance from me.

Kelbrook is probably more 'compact', but on the last occasion that I went to Coniston Hall it was more a 'specsavers' day out  !  As we are all over 70, we found most of the targets between the trees very difficult to see (even with Pilla's  😂). Obviously those against the sky were great, but few and far between. Kelbrook, most of the targets are against the sky, but some stands are a bit close and it is easy to shoot the wrong target. Personally I just laugh it off, BUT, some can take things too seriously and really throw Teddy out of the cot  !  It is better mid week, Tuesday to Friday, as there are probably fewer there.  Oh, and Coniston stops serving food at 1.30pm.

30 minutes ago, Will Poon said:

You can shoot with your eyes closed and from the hip at coniston as they very rarely change the sporting!

Never a truer word spoken Will. Waste of time going now, you might as well shoot  Skeet or DTL now, what a waste of a ground for regulars.

Suffice it to say that we stayed at the 'grouse butt' after lunch, rather than walk all the way down an eyesight testing path. I have shot at Coniston since it was first run by a retired Lancs. Bobby, many years ago (around 20 +) and although the ground has expanded greatly and the clubhouse has been replaced, I feel it is probably a good Trap and Skeet club now. I no longer shoot either  ! 

On 04/01/2020 at 16:16, Will Poon said:

You can shoot with your eyes closed and from the hip at coniston as they very rarely change the sporting!

Bit like Doveridge then  ???

Marine barracks are the best ground out of all the grounds mentioned on here. Tony sets targets that are excellent,it's cheap, good crack, and we'll worth a visit. Once you are on the base, you need to show id at the guard house and then drive through the base to the ground. There is always someone to shoot round with and the locals don't bite. From Auntie.