Last codling of the decade

henry d

Managed to get out on the kayak during a brief weather window on the 31st. Beautiful blue sky with the gentlest of a breath of wind and very little swell.

IMG_20191231_091514675r.jpg.fdd72c9e7879d8d15bcaa4f669bd47fa.jpg

started out with a couple of small reefs but no fish so I headed out about 1 km or so to a reef that has been productive all year, but still nothing even though there were shoals of baitfish showing on the fishfinder. I tried soft plastics and baited muppets/hokkais, but not even a nibble. After a couple of hours I decided to try another area that has a bit more tidal movement about a mile away. There were plenty of fish eating birds about as well as rafts of eider so there is plenty of feeding about.

IMG_0285r.jpg.0e4b0f483dfe81796463ecc7256c9865.jpg

IMG_0286r.jpg.24777d6286b689806212e4da7a9e7101.jpg

No dice here either apart from a hit on the SP lure that lasted a couple of headshakes.

I paddled back toward the launch area to a reef that I had on my plotter that is the first (or last depending on the run of the tide) one after a long expanse of sand/mud and soon had a good take on the SP`s and after a very spirited fight I was surprised that it was a smaller than I hoped for codling of about 2 1/2lb.

IMG_0287r.jpg.1ea76319caee00662f3eabdc43e08041.jpg

Enjoyed a chat with a few random people on the beach who had a load of questions about the kayak and the fishing. The oddest thing was just after I had stowed everything away in the car and was enjoying a cuppa and the sun was about to drop over the horizon; two women decided to have a swim! I know lots of people go for a swim on New Years day for charity, these two just went for it for the "joy" of swimming in the frigid north sea. Each to their own!

IMG_20191231_145901543r.jpg.c2cdd8dd418b45cd7cbd1ff7248c2a19.jpg

Looking forward to the first of this decade now.