DONALD

scouser

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Zapp said:

The pic of the missile section is interesting although at the end of the day it's just a pic and therefore could be spoofed.

Indeed , it could well be a stock picture of a 'spent' SA15, and used in this case to pin blame on the Iranians.

But, the Iranians were very quick to blame a technical fault, and said that the plane turned back, whereas the plane can clearly be shown NOT turning back, and with no recorded conversations with the cockpit, how would they assume a technical fault ?

30 minutes ago, Zapp said:

However, it is indeed the seeker head and front canards of a SA-15 sure enough, and it being there and in one piece is plausible since the main charge blows it off in one section to allow the fragmentation section located behind to plume onto the target.

Exactly , the charge (warhead) has a proximity fuse, that peppers the target with shrapnel, the missile is not designed to connect with the  target.

If this turns out to be the case, and its not a deliberate act (I cant imagine why it would be) it would be in the best interests of Iran to come clean , sooner rather than later.

On 08/01/2020 at 13:28, Teal said:

It's amazing, highly recommend. Really took me by surprise. Tehran is just hideous blocks of concrete, so definitely spread your wings out from there, the people, food and the culture is incredible. Been to some great places but Iran was the one real standout I think in part due to perception of it being hostile & full of religious zealots. Drank a lot of tea, and hard to walk down a street without being invited into every house along it to be fed! A lot of very well educated people there too, and a real fondness for Britain which to say was a surprise was an understatement on my part.

Unfortunately we aren't alone in despairing at our politicians. The people I met without exception (although fairly discretely) made it clear their leaders didn't represent their country. 

Isnt that true of just about everyone. as pointed out in another thread, all most people want, is to enjoy our lives and harm no one

Can it be an accident? Unless the missile system is automated, wouldn’t it require someone to press a button.

Also, don’t civilian aircraft have transponders or friend or foe devices that clearly identify them on radar? (My expertise is based on Steven segal films so may be flawed)

Things happen in times of tension, the pilot who bombed our ship in 82 was shot down by his own troops when heading back home over Goose green. It could be a case of shoot first ask questions later, however there were other flights around the same time and it would appear to be a very sad and messy situation.

11 hours ago, henry d said:

Things happen in times of tension, the pilot who bombed our ship in 82 was shot down by his own troops when heading back home over Goose green. It could be a case of shoot first ask questions later, however there were other flights around the same time and it would appear to be a very sad and messy situation.

I bet every Iranian wants to be the guy to shoot down a American plane.  Nobody wants to be the guy that lets a American plane through. Probably get beheaded. It is easy to believe that a mistake was made.  

28 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I bet every Iranian wants to be the guy to shoot down a American plane.  Nobody wants to be the guy that lets a American plane through. Probably get beheaded. It is easy to believe that a mistake was made.  

That's a very sobering thought. :yes: There may have been a local news blackout that could otherwise have let the airline known it was about to overfly/head towards a conflict area.

Edited by Dave-G