Custom Moulded Ear Defenders

Demonic69

Hi all

I know this has probably been covered before, but technology and manufacturers change fairly quickly so I may as well ask for your valued opinions again.

I'm currently using the Howard Leight style electronic over ear muffs. They're fine but I've noticed they can interfere with my gun mount a bit.

Contemplating some passive custom fit in-ears.

Prices all seem to be around £100, so I'm after experiences, fitting process, pros/cons, upgradeability etc.

What do you guys shoot with and how do you find them? 

Cheers

I have a set of Cens i bought about 6 years ago. I should really get new moulds as my ears are bound to have changed a little. I just don't see the need at the moment as they are comfortable. They are worth every penny i paid for them. Buy once and cry once. Its your ears and you cant buy a new set. 

5 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I have a set of Cens i bought about 6 years ago. I should really get new moulds as my ears are bound to have changed a little. I just don't see the need at the moment as they are comfortable. They are worth every penny i paid for them. Buy once and cry once. Its your ears and you cant buy a new set. 

Do Cens discount the cost of the moulds, or would that be extra? 

Cheers

I reckon they are well over priced. My wife bought some blue tooth ear speakers over christmas for not a lot of money and whilst not fitted they are impressive bits of kit. 

I have a set of the passive ones which I think I paid £80 for but they rarely go out. I take them to Africa to use after a few days on the pigeons to give my ears a rest from the defenders but other than that I like the versatility of the defenders. Maybe if I was shooting mostly clays I would think differently. 

5 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

I've noticed they can interfere with my gun mount a bit.

Exactly my problem; bought a set of EMT Edit: also known now as Emtec and Noisebreaker, see link https://www.noisebreaker.com/) passives about 30 years ago - still have them, wear them at least weekly - and they have been superb.  When standing (i.e. not shooting) with others I still use over ear types.

5 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

I should really get new moulds as my ears are bound to have changed a little.

Apparently ears don't change significantly.  I have had my EMTs for a great many years and still fit fine and comfortable.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I was same as you , hummed and ha for a while , price was putting me off had the usual ear defenders and had even bought some plugz , the home mouldable ones , they were ok then at the game fair last year went for it had some fitted and got them a month later ,think the firm was ‘ custom ear plugs ‘ mercury ‘ based in Crawley Sussex , £75 all in .             Standard shooting ones not digital all singing but one of the best things I’ve bought and used 

36 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

I was same as you , hummed and ha for a while , price was putting me off had the usual ear defenders and had even bought some plugz , the home mouldable ones , they were ok then at the game fair last year went for it had some fitted and got them a month later ,think the firm was ‘ custom ear plugs ‘ mercury ‘ based in Crawley Sussex , £75 all in .             Standard shooting ones not digital all singing but one of the best things I’ve bought and used 

They sound just what I'm after, thanks. I think I'll see if the Brum shooting show has anything on offer.

How do you find them when talking etc? Would they still be good on a lesson?

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

They sound just what I'm after, thanks. I think I'll see if the Brum shooting show has anything on offer.

How do you find them when talking etc? Would they still be good on a lesson?

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Hi most of what I use them for is on the pigeons and occasionally clays , have had conversations in them and they are ok , think it was second time I used them in a hide after pigeons I packed up and was about five mile down the road when I reliased I still had them in 

These.....dogs danglies with a pair of cens mini tips from puretone retail (free postage)

https://www.earshotcommunications.co.uk/shop/product/3m-peltor-electronic-earplug-eep-100-eu/

http://www.puretoneretail.net/mino_industrial.html#reload

Ive been using them for both loading and shooting..... very impressed and way better (and cheaper in the long run) than my moulded cens. 

Thread on SD......well worth a read....convinced me to go for them and I’m pleased I did, still on the first pair of the mino tips and they show no sign of degrading as yet.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/electronic-earmuffs-fit.176014/#post-1634886

Cheers

fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

Currently using a set of these with

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33060866258.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4cbe4c4dA236Wu

Modded with a set of these to get a comfortable fit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32605377103.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4cbe4c4dA236Wu

Whilst not specifically designed as hearing protectors, like all aids they suppress overly loud noises and amplify the quiet ones, 250 clay cartridges in Olympic trap shed and no rining or after effects.