28g 7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

Lloyd, why do you not just use a 28 gram UK size 7?

That’s what I’m asking for.Β 

Although the ones labelled as β€œgame” 28g size 7’s seem to be significantly more expensive than say a β€œclay” 28g 7.5 (which may just be a UK 7) if you get me.Β 
Β 

Β 

To be honest, I very rarely look at the price of cartridges. The cost of cartridges is such a tiny part of the cost of shooting game that it makes little % difference overall. Cheap β€˜clay’ ammo at, what, Β£180/1000, or β€˜better quality’ so called β€˜game’ ammo at perhaps Β£280/100?Β If you use 1000/season it only costs Β£2 /week difference over a year. Not a lot compared to the cost of perhaps ten days shooting firing 100 cartridges/day. If you buy the cheapies I am fairly sure you will notice no/very little difference to the dear ones. They all seem to work.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

To be honest, I very rarely look at the price of cartridges. The cost of cartridges is such a tiny part of the cost of shooting game that it makes little % difference overall. Cheap β€˜clay’ ammo at, what, Β£180/1000, or β€˜better quality’ so called β€˜game’ ammo at perhaps Β£280/100?Β If you use 1000/season it only costs Β£2 /week difference over a year. Not a lot compared to the cost of perhaps ten days shooting firing 100 cartridges/day. If you buy the cheapies I am fairly sure you will notice no/very little difference to the dear ones. They all seem to work.

That’s what I’m thinking.Β 
Β 

Much like, what is the difference between 30g 6’s in a pigeon cartridge VS 30g 6’s in a gameΒ cartridge?Β 
Β 

I shot shot some very good pheasants this season using 30g 6 pigeon cartridges and missed some easy birds with expansive game cartridges.Β 

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

Of course you did........because there is no difference, it’s all kidology.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 
Β 

Now then, do we know any 28g 7.5 that are actually UK size 7 that would be worth a go on game? πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Dunno, but my son in law came out today for his fist ever live shooting day, having shot clays (very) occasionally for about three years. He asked me last week what cartridges he should buy. I asked if he had any at all. He replied, β€œyes, but they are clay cartridges, 7.5’s”. I told him if they went bang they would do. He shot nine birds, pheasant/partridges, for an average of less than 3:1. Not a bad performance for a beginner.

I rest my case.

33 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Β 
Β 

Now then, do we know any 28g 7.5 that are actually UK size 7 that would be worth a go on game? πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Yes .

NsiΒ  ,Β boraganhi Β , rcΒ 

All Italian. Β  No 7.5 Β are 2.4 mm not 2.3 mm (as english 7.5 are ) Β and as such the 2.4s are equivalent Β to a english no 7 .i really like them Β .

But I think if i could choose a pellwt size for all my shooting it would be 2.5 mm or english 6.5 .Β 

A Β great balance of size / retained energy Β and pellet count Β 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Does anyone know a continental size clay cart that is actually a 28g UK size 7 please?Β 
Β 

I would like to give some a try on game πŸ‘πŸ»

To be sure what size you are getting its your best option to buy 28gram ammo and count pellets. 2.4mm which is uk 7s will be 340 pellets. where as 7 1/2 s at 2.3mm will beΒ  400. Measuring is best bet but the count and having 437.5 grains to the oz you can weigh pellets get the size from that.

Β  RC are about 7s in their 7.5 and the Joker L A S were 7s.

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes .

All Italian. Β  No 7.5 Β are 2.4 mm not 2.3 mm (as english 7.5 are ) Β and as such the 2.4s are equivalent Β to a english no 7 .i really like them Β .

But I think if i could choose a pellwt size for all my shooting it would be 2.5 mm or english 6.5 .Β 

Thank you πŸ‘πŸ» RC 28g 7’s are Β£191 per 1000.Β 
Β 

Gamebore 28g 7’s forΒ game’ are Β£277 per 1000.Β 
Β 

Do you think there’s much difference? :PΒ 

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes .

:good:

Age has forced a downsize and I'm now hide-bound. With the exception of something from Hull that I got from a PW member for the corvids, it's now just 28g of 7s for the pigeon. But, yep, previously as quoted. For all general purposes, unbeatable.

Dave Carrie did a Gamebore Blue Diamond test on 8 v 7.5 diamond shot (euro sized) fibre (for clays) but if you want to see a UK cartridge perform in a UK 7, this is a good example as it is done at 40 yards and pellets are flattening against plate.

Β 

Β 

I used to use White Gold 7.5 with Gordon recoil system (then the XLR) , then moved to Blue Diamond or Black Gold for game in 12b depending on what is available, put through improved and quarter will drop any pheasant within 40 yards.

Edited by Stonepark