28g 7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, daisyrob1 said:

So when you buy your carts do you ask for a box of anything because you don't give a ****! 

No. I buy a quantity of,  mostly, 28 gram 7’s, fibre wad. I would not dream of buying a cartridge with a plastic wad, never have. And I don’t sit  measuring the pellets and counting them either.

8 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

he also has 71/2 in 2.4 mm if you read full list.

Not in tt1 2.3mm,2.4 on mine

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

No. I buy a quantity of,  mostly, 28 gram 7’s, fibre wad. I would not dream of buying a cartridge with a plastic wad, never have. And I don’t sit  measuring the pellets and counting them either.

Neither do I! But you should be getting what you think your getting

20 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Much like, what is the difference between 30g 6’s in a pigeon cartridge VS 30g 6’s in a game cartridge?

Often the antimony content, inexpensive pigeon cartridges are often pure lead or 1% Sb, coupled with cheaper hull and cheaper powder with slightly lower velocity but still do 99% of what the game cartridge does and as most peoples shooting is not extreme they cope well enough.

Edited by Stonepark

2 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Often the antimony content, inexpensive pigeon cartridges are often pure lead or 1% Sb, coupled with cheaper hull and cheaper powder with slightly lower velocity but still do 99% of what the game cartridge does and ss most peoples shooting is not extreme they cope well enough.

Oh there's that word again!

EXTREME.

:lol:

Buy the cheapest shells you are happy with that you can get on a regular basis!

2 hours ago, daisyrob1 said:

Not in tt1 2.3mm,2.4 on mine

Neither do I! But you should be getting what you think your getting

Yep. Because I'm spending 2 or 3 £100 at a time I want to know what I'm getting so I'll get a box, check them and if OK go for it. Bar the 20b, by coincidence all of my 7s come in at 350 to the 28g and are good round shot - some better than others because they suit one particular gun. The 20b at 25g come in at 330 in total or 375/0z - who mentioned 7&1/4? - which has its advantages

As for counting them, because of a couple of hours work one wet afternoon some 40 years ago, less than a minute per cartridge - open, pour, check, pour and close crimp.:

001.jpg

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep. Because I'm spending 2 or 3 £100 at a time I want to know what I'm getting so I'll get a box, check them and if OK go for it. Bar the 20b, by coincidence all of my 7s are good round shot - some better than others because they suit one particular gun - and come in at 350 to the 28g. The 20b at 25g come in at 330 in total or 375/0z - who mentioned 7&1/4? - which has its advantages

As for counting them, because of a couple of hours work one wet afternoon some 40 years ago, less than a minute per cartridge - open, pour, check, pour and close crimp.:

001.jpg

Clay shooting magazine had the pellet count at 375 hence the 7 1/4

16 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

I honestly can't believe anyone is advocating shooting a January pheasant with 7.5s.

I'm surprised you are not recommending skeet chokes to go with them!

Not every shoot if off hill top's and 40-50+ yard high birds. I have seen many bird this season that were coming over at say 20 ish yards that would be perfect for a 28g 7 through an improved cylinder choke. 

19 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

I honestly can't believe anyone is advocating shooting a January pheasant with 7.5s.

Shot 2 last week with 7s 3/4 choke 35/ 40 yards dead in the air when plucked double figure strikes, no chance flying of pricked! 

56 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

English 7's  are  good to 40 yards for any pheasant no matter the month you shoot it in.

IC with 28g No 7 has 167 pellets in 30 inch circle at 40 yards, over twice what 34 g No 4 has at 55 yards with full choke.

Pattern Kills

Edited by Stonepark

Turn up at most decent driven pheasant shoots in the country with 28g of 7.5s you would not be allowed to shoot.

Don'y give 2 jots about pattern you have to put it in the right place and if you are pricking birds (it happens) with 7.5 shot you have zero percent chance of recovering it.

As for using IC chokes. Seriously! 1/2 choke as a minimum for all game shooting.

And some of you are condemning high bird shooting yet treating game like going skeet shooting. 

If you are shooting 20yd pheasants use a .410 or at the very most a 28g.

19 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

English 7's  are  good to 40 yards for any pheasant no matter the month you shoot it in.

IC with 28g No 7 has 167 pellets in 30 inch circle at 40 yards, over twice what 34 g No 4 has at 55 yards.

Pattern Kills

This, all day, all season, no matter the month.

I shot a small (100 bird ) driven day yesterday with exactly this combination. I fired 23 shots for 12 very decent birds, no runners.

3 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Turn up at most decent driven pheasant shoots in the country with 28g of 7.5s you would not be allowed to shoot.

Don'y give 2 jots about pattern you have to put it in the right place and if you are pricking birds (it happens) with 7.5 shot you have zero percent chance of recovering it.

As for using IC chokes. Seriously! 1/2 choke as a minimum for all game shooting.

Utter twaddle!

22 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

And some of you are condemning high bird shooting yet treating game like going skeet shooting. 

What an absolute load of nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:

Perazzi,

2.4mm shot is No7 UK, 340 per Oz, UK 7 1/2 is 400 per Oz, we are all talking 340 pellets per Oz UK No7 or continental 7.5.

I severely doubt a normal (not extreme) shoot that would turn away a gun with 1oz No7 Eley Impax cartridges, so why would they turn away a gun with cartridges with same load and pellet size and pellets going 200fps faster at the muzzle. I have certainly never experienced any issues.

You injure a lot less birds with twice the number of shot in the pattern, there are no gaps.

Traditional English GAME guns are nearly all choked cyl/quarter or IC/half or as I prefer IC/1/4.

We are just using physics to our advantage, adequate pellet energy plus lots of pellets = dead birds.

As you are aware from other threads, I do (as do others on here) use my 410 with 18g or 21g No7 to kill pheasants reliably to 35 yards.

Edited by Stonepark