A GOOD READ

DUNKS

Got SPANISH BEST the book for Christmas I can recommend it as an excellent read. Written by an authority on Spanish guns.

A real eye opener for me too. I do appreciate my lovely Armas Garbi but see it in a slightly different light when I read  that my 1977 gun was made in a tiny factory WITH NO ELECTRICITY. 

I have an almost exact copy of a Holland and Holland which was made entirely by hand and the terrible thing is that there is no demand for these beautiful guns now. Although works of art they are just not in demand. Nor will a demand ever return I fear.

As A guide to the history of the Basque area gunmakers this is a must read.

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

Picked mine up at a local auction a couple of years ago for less than £200

:good:I know they can be had foe next to nothing, this is the state of the side by side market now. We could not see this coming in the 70s /80s but by the end of the 80s the writing was on the wall for side by sides generally. I think they might be picking up a little bit again now, but only certain ones. The basic non ejectors are out there for very little in most cases.

I still use a side by side for much of my game shooting, and have a 12 magnum i like using for wildfowling sometimes. But you dont see them like you did when i was a youngster, A lot of years ago now. :lol:

6 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Tizz a shame. Nomatter how you tart it up you cant get the style and grace into an over and under like a best side by side.

They always revert to being a shapeless practical lump.

I agree but an o/u and semi auto have their places too, not great fun doing 2 or 3 rounds at a clay ground with a fine side by side

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

I agree but an o/u and semi auto have their places too, not great fun doing 2 or 3 rounds at a clay ground with a fine side by side

Yep as I said "practical lumps" Just no grace, or of course in most cases hand made history.

I suspect my mate will be along soon to tell you whatever you can do with your modern over and under he can do with his light weight vintage SXS. "and he can" but he has never shot anything else.

Crosses himself every time I get my O/U out of it's slip.😂

Edited by DUNKS

I agree with the comments so far about side by sides but many twenty bore over and unders combine a lighter weight and nicer balance than a lot of the twelve bore over and unders carried on game shoots ,especially 20 bore over and unders with straight hand stocks if you are more used to a side by side.

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Got SPANISH BEST the book for Christmas I can recommend it as an excellent read. Written by an authority on Spanish guns.

A real eye opener for me too. I do appreciate my lovely Armas Garbi but see it in a slightly different light when I read  that my 1977 gun was made in a tiny factory WITH NO ELECTRICITY. 

I have an almost exact copy of a Holland and Holland which was made entirely by hand and the terrible thing is that there is no demand for these beautiful guns now. Although works of art they are just not in demand. Nor will a demand ever return I fear.

As A guide to the history of the Basque area gunmakers this is a must read.

Good to hear that we weren't the only ones on a three day week.😖

1 hour ago, button said:

Great book, I got mine when I got my first Victor Sarasqueta, I blame that book, for costing me a lot of money since!

Would also recommend Micheal Mcintosh's other books, good reading

Lancer425 - any pics of your UA?

Her you go.

GARBI 020.JPG

GARBI 010.JPG

1 hour ago, button said:

Great book, I got mine when I got my first Victor Sarasqueta, I blame that book, for costing me a lot of money since!

Would also recommend Micheal Mcintosh's other books, good reading

Lancer425 - any pics of your UA?

Its no oil painting its a working tool with nearly 40 years hard use , but have pics, but not sure how to post on here, I was fine when photobucket was on the go but now i have no idea,.

Edited by lancer425

9 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Its no oil painting its a working tool with nearly 40 years hard use , but have pics, but not sure how to post on here, I was fine when photobucket was on the go but now i have no idea,.

In the reply box follow the instructions by the paper clip

45 minutes ago, Konor said:

I agree with the comments so far about side by sides but many twenty bore over and unders combine a lighter weight and nicer balance than a lot of the twelve bore over and unders carried on game shoots ,especially 20 bore over and unders with straight hand stocks if you are more used to a side by side.

What a 20 does is get the weight down to 12 SxS in an over and under configuration yet with its single sighting plain etc, and ammo is less volumous than 12s in your pockets etc.

SxS are less gape on loading /unloading on cranking of your wrist to load as the loading angle is not staggered like a O/U .

Weight is a big thing in the SxS favour. Many will say they can not get on with a SxS but i think deep in there is a I dont want to get on with SxS.

I shoot a lot of autos and O/Us but the SxS to me feels the most natural. With believe it or not the semi autos second. The O/Us seem the most clumsey in operation of all but bolt action shotguns with their awkward mag feeding habits.

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

I too have a Armas Garbi sidelock. The Gunmark Royale version built in 1986, copy of Holland & Holland Royal. Dunks probably the exact same gun as yours with different engraving. Superb gun and a joy to use on game and the odd clay shoot 

They are nice aren't they? Only snag with mine is that it's choked half and full and barrels are marked thus. I really need it opened up to cylinder and Skeet which is what I shoot clays with. BUT the gun is all original and to open it up in my opinion would spoil this originality. Someone has kept it as it was made all these years. Who am I to alter that.

I know you are a shooter and what you would do but should I?

12 minutes ago, bluesj said:

In the reply box follow the instructions by the paper clip

I tried that once ot twice before, never got it to work for me, i have a few pics on photobucket of this gun, but the site is down with a message from a TED , not sure if it will come back, it reads like its been down some weeks now.

Will take some pics on my phone i will be using it tuesday next ABW.

6 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

They are nice aren't they? Only snag with mine is that it's choked half and full and barrels are marked thus. I really need it opened up to cylinder and Skeet which is what I shoot clays with. BUT the gun is all original and to open it up in my opinion would spoil this originality. Someone has kept it as it was made all these years. Who am I to alter that.

I know you are a shooter and what you would do but should I?

The only problem with mine is its choked cylinder and 1/4 would rather full and 3/4

I would keep.it as is and use the piston wad carts  for the full and 24g 9 skeet carts in the half. That should open the pattern enough to be useful.

Good thing with tight chokes is you learn exactly where it shoot to poi.

Mine is 1/4&1/2 from factory,  I wouldn't change it. 

Yours for game is ideal.if driven, gives you choice to take them further out. Some express traditional game 25g 7 would be nice through it. Without to many in pattern to make pate.

Edited by figgy