A GOOD READ

DUNKS

47 minutes ago, button said:

Looks a good un

It  desperately needs a re blue, i have looked after it as much as i could but i used it as a duck gun when i was young had no money and was determined to hang on to it. That and lots of use wear any gun Finnish in the end. Its mechanically perfect and no looser than it was 35 years ago.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

What a 20 does is get the weight down to 12 SxS in an over and under configuration yet with its single sighting plain etc, and ammo is less volumous than 12s in your pockets etc.

SxS are less gape on loading /unloading on cranking of your wrist to load as the loading angle is not staggered like a O/U .

Weight is a big thing in the SxS favour. Many will say they can not get on with a SxS but i think deep in there is a I dont want to get on with SxS.

I shoot a lot of autos and O/Us but the SxS to me feels the most natural. With believe it or not the semi autos second. The O/Us seem the most clumsey in operation of all but bolt action shotguns with their awkward mag feeding habits.

People shooting with o/u never seem to have the style that a good shot with a s/s has except perhaps those with a fitted English made  version . I agree with most also not wanting to get on with s/s.....they would have if that was all that was available for certain...and two triggers!!! lol.

20 minutes ago, matone said:

People shooting with o/u never seem to have the style that a good shot with a s/s has except perhaps those with a fitted English made  version . I agree with most also not wanting to get on with s/s.....they would have if that was all that was available for certain...and two triggers!!! lol.

I've never had a problem switch from single trigger o/u to a double trigger sxs, don't notice it even part way through a drive! I can miss just the same with ether 

I think the over and under and semi auto are more suitable to shooting maintained lead at longer range targets , think long range geese or duck on the foreshore due to its less cluttered sight picture ,and the side by side better for unpredictable targets at closer range using a swing through style, think woodcock or teal coming into a flight pond.I think the over and under lends itself better to a dealing with the repetitive predictable clay shots requiring a consistent pre determined sight picture. I have always preferred a side by side but probably shoot about 10% overall better with an over and under.

I expect that it will not be unusual for shooters to have both over and under, side by side and semi auto and choose whichever suits the type of shooting on the day or whichever gives them most pleasure to shoot.