Advise regards shooting cormorants

shawn9914

Hi All

Can anyone offer me any advise on the best way to shoot cormorants, I have been asked by a small fishing club to control the cormorants on their 2 ponds as the fish are being eaten so quickly they really need it sorting. I have been added onto the Defra licence by the club so all legal and above board.

Thing is I have never shot cormorants and would like some advise from anyone who has culled them on the best approach

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, shawn9914 said:

Hi All

Can anyone offer me any advise on the best way to shoot cormorants, I have been asked by a small fishing club to control the cormorants on their 2 ponds as the fish are being eaten so quickly they really need it sorting. I have been added onto the Defra licence by the club so all legal and above board.

Thing is I have never shot cormorants and would like some advise from anyone who has culled them on the best approach

Thanks in advance 

Obviously " Non Toxic Shot " must be used if using a shot gun Gamebore Super Steel 32grm 3's or 36 grm 3's or 1's RC atomic 32grm 3's or 36gm 3's do the job . If you have any sitting areas get hid up there and wait. If and only if you have a suitable back stop a .17hmr is very good BUT check conditions on your FAC and definitely know shooting at/into water also check terms conditions of the License issued as often they can only be shot in certain areas and not the whole site

Thanks guys i will take a trip down the gun shot tomorrow and get some cartridges 

I also have a 22lr so this could be an option as back stop is not a problem, if i set up right i can shoot into a high bank which was created when the ponds were dug out years ago 

Would a 22lr be ok for a chest shot ??

4 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Thanks guys i will take a trip down the gun shot tomorrow and get some cartridges 

I also have a 22lr so this could be an option as back stop is not a problem, if i set up right i can shoot into a high bank which was created when the ponds were dug out years ago 

Would a 22lr be ok for a chest shot ??

Placed where neck joins the Body fine but as i advised in previous reply please check both conditions of your FAC and Cormorant License as they are individually worded/sanctioned eg my license could allow me to use .222 and 20ga - 16ga and 12ga along with other conditions and yours could be worded differently. As for previous advice of miss counting that's your sgc and fac along with Cormorant License at stake. 

• 2 months later...

On my licence from NE it states only a shotgun can be used. I use Gamebore magnums no3's & 4's half choke out to 50yrds not had any moan about it.  Keep thinking of trying the HMR. It's a never ending battle as not that far from the Thames & a big lake two fields away from my club water has between 40 & 60 on it most days.

• 4 weeks later...