Photon or pard 008

johnny

From what I have seen the Pard is much better than the photon.  Good clear image and fine reticle. That said, with this stuff you can spend a small fortune chasing better. If your Photon does the job, why change it? Particularly given the market for the photon is not so strong. 

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

From what I have seen the Pard is much better than the photon.  Good clear image and fine reticle. That said, with this stuff you can spend a small fortune chasing better. If your Photon does the job, why change it? Particularly given the market for the photon is not so strong. 

I've got an older photon and was thinking of swopping to the pard as the photon goes out of focus every now and then, but as there haven't been any rabbits about I haven't got round to it yet

I've got a photon XT fitted with a doubler and it's perfectly acceptable. I extremed one with the adapter and camera lens and the results were very impressive crystal clear day and night but I wanted a change, sold it and then bought another one again because the other NV I wanted had sold. The pard looks very impressive but definitely needs the extra illumination to get out to decent distances. Personally I'm considering a pard 007 add on and moving away from dedicated NV. Also one to consider would be the Vulpine Mk3 from ludicrous lumens, they're made by a friend of a friend and he says they're VERY good, with a decent illuminator on top they'll see as far as your scope can see. If you join Foxstoppers UK on Facebook they have a discount code I think so you get 10% off or something similar. I have no affiliation  with any of them but like I said I'd go add on nowadays rather than dedicated.

20 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I've got a photon XT fitted with a doubler and it's perfectly acceptable. I extremed one with the adapter and camera lens and the results were very impressive crystal clear day and night but I wanted a change, sold it and then bought another one again because the other NV I wanted had sold. The pard looks very impressive but definitely needs the extra illumination to get out to decent distances. Personally I'm considering a pard 007 add on and moving away from dedicated NV. Also one to consider would be the Vulpine Mk3 from ludicrous lumens, they're made by a friend of a friend and he says they're VERY good, with a decent illuminator on top they'll see as far as your scope can see. If you join Foxstoppers UK on Facebook they have a discount code I think so you get 10% off or something similar. I have no affiliation  with any of them but like I said I'd go add on nowadays rather than dedicated.

Rather than the Pard I would look at the Ward. They require less IR to drive them and the picture is superb. Not as good a mount as the pard but easily sorted. 

The original Photon had a retical fixed at centre of the eyepiece and the screen was moved to zero it - some disliked that idea.

Pards have a fixed screen and move the retical to zero - some, including me don't like that and it can take several attempts at zeroing after re-shimming if you want to get it about centre screen.

Also with the 008 LRF, the range readout has a mind of its own and this old dog ain't good at learning new tricks: :mad: