Cheapish Crossbow any recomendations please ?

BADGER.BRAD

Hello everyone,

I am interested in having a go at crossbow shooting and to start with am looking for a re-curve Cross bow that both me and my wife could use (she is quite small and slight but does use a 12 gauge) I also I'm looking for something with a good parts supply that would be usable in the average back garden without being over the top. Any ideas ?

Thanks all.

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

I've only experience of using a older barnett wildcat crossbow and can honestly say I'd never dream of firing that other than in conditions I'd use a rimfire. We used shuttering ply at 50 odd yards and it went clean through taking the flights off at the same time. I think it was 150lb draw. More modern ones can be twice that. 

Im not saying don't, they are good fun and surprisingly accurate once you get the hang of it, but even those crappy hand ones which are roughly 30lb draw, travel a good 150 yards, but because its a plastic bolt they are prone to ricochet without penetrating. Not the wildcats, that just gos clean through anything with the Ali bolts 😂

See if you can find a archery club, maybe to have a go, but also as it's a bit taboo they are usually cheap to pick up second hand 👍

Edited by strimmer_13

The biggest issue with any arrow ,imo, is that they can ricochet off stuff or more often glance off an edge and go upwards and away over a wall or fence etc .this is very dangerous as even a very slow arrow can penetrate through to human vitals and cause a fatality .

I would never shoot an arrow in an urban environment.  Too risky  

Most crossbows have either gone upmarket and very powerful with very few inbetween that and kids of a reasonable quality.

Not used them but Ukcrossbows do a range of inexpensive recurve crossbows, one of which a mate has  sourced from elsewhere which is a basic one but still cabable of punching though tin sheet.

https://angloarms.com/index.php/crossbows/recurve-crossbows.html

Edited by Stonepark

20 hours ago, BADGER.BRAD said:

Hello everyone,

I am interested in having a go at crossbow shooting and to start with am looking for a re-curve Cross bow that both me and my wife could use (she is quite small and slight but does use a 12 gauge) I also I'm looking for something with a good parts supply that would be usable in the average back garden without being over the top. Any ideas ?

Thanks all.

My recomendation is don't Please

On 05/01/2020 at 18:50, BADGER.BRAD said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks all.

i dont know much about crossbows dude , but if you get one , youre more than welcome to use it at our place:good:

I'm always amazed that we (any shop) can sell cross bows to anyone. We have always asked for ID the same as buying an air rifle but there's no requirement for us to do so and they are incredibly powerful. I used to have one many years ago and used to shoot it into and old fridge at about 80 yards. It would go clean through one side and the bolt would be hanging out of the other side. That's more than enough to kill someone. 

We don't sell them anymore.

Edd

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have sent an email to the National cross bow federation of great Britain in order to find somewhere I could have a go with a Crossbow but a lot Archery clubs seem to be hell bent against Crossbows and seem to be really expensive to be a member of and only operate on certain days making it really difficult to attend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find some where local to have a try. I was hoping to find something me and my wife could have a go at which was a little cheaper than the clays.

Mel I'm going to have to come up to your place in the near future for a grand tour I do pass that way quite often doing a few of my other hobbies. Thanks very much for the offer.

14 hours ago, BADGER.BRAD said:

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have sent an email to the National cross bow federation of great Britain in order to find somewhere I could have a go with a Crossbow but a lot Archery clubs seem to be hell bent against Crossbows and seem to be really expensive to be a member of and only operate on certain days making it really difficult to attend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find some where local to have a try. I was hoping to find something me and my wife could have a go at which was a little cheaper than the clays.

Mel I'm going to have to come up to your place in the near future for a grand tour I do pass that way quite often doing a few of my other hobbies. Thanks very much for the offer.

Most archery clubs are against them because they make a terrible mess of the (not inexpensive) targets they use, will just strip your bolts or you will lose your bolt in the middle of them. Plus they need a heftier backstop or longer distance behind the target which most clubs just don't have. Its easier to just say no. Most Archery clubs share land so cant be open everyday, though tbh I never found them that expensive. The last one I was a member of was about £120 for the year with no additional fees. Clubs tend to be against randoms turning up with a bow they purchased as you need to know range protocol and ideally not shoot yourself or someone else...  

Honestly, as you can't hunt with them in this country I just cannot see the point in them. Especially when a low powered air rifle is just as accessible and IMO more appropriate for some back yard plinking. 

HW44 or 45 good choice but expensive.

For plinking any you like the feel.of in a local shop. Range isn't going to be far.

A crossman, artemis, Hatsan are all about same price. The crossman 1377 is s pump up pneumatic so no recoil like a Springer.

When I shot field target archery there was one or two that shot crossbows but they were hard on the targets, as already said the shafts would go that far in you would spend half your round helping someone remove their bolt. If they missed and hit a tree or the target support posts then they would often come back as fast as they got shot out. 

They were really accurate but didn't seem as much fun as a standard recurve or American flatbow. 

I always wondered about them as over a few years we used to find deer wounded by crosbow bolts every few week.

Anyhow found a reasonably modern one that my friend had, it was just a cheap one i'm told but i think it will be over 80LBS. Shot it into some round straw bales stacked in an empty silage clamp, the bolt went clean through the first and into the second by 6 inches or more. The power was quite incredible I'm at a bit of a loss to see what would stop a bolt that you could easily set up in the garden.

I was told by a crossbow user about the dangers of using a crossbows without using the correct back stops and if I was to use a particularly a high powered one to make sure I used the correct deep foam back stops and treat it like a rifle and make sure what ever was behind the line of fire + and minus a a fairbit was soft enough to absorb the bolt rather than allow it to bounce off else where.

I am really amazed at some of the videos on Youtube where they load the bolt into the crossbow either facing the sky or at chest level before aiming it at the target and these people make themselves out to be experts !

I understand the danger as a kid I visited a friends house, his uncle had obtained a Barrnet Crossbow ( lots of people had their catapults/bows and crossbows as we lived very near their two factories in Wolverhampton and the local kids would climb over the fence and make stuff up out of their reject stock in skips ) His dad laughed at it and shot at his van thinking it would bounce off, it went straight through both sides and whistled off down the middle of the road and a lad from my school shot a girl through the leg when he shot one of their Imp crossbows across a field again not understanding how far it would go.

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

A lot of the arguments against can be said of the firearms we discuss 99% of the time on this forum. I.e the projectiles travel far and they're dangerous if you're an idiot with them. Learn from someone who knows what they're doing. Make sure you have the right kind of environment to use one i.e backstop and space. Then crack on 😁

I would find a field target bow shooting club, 3d targets are good. An 8ft life sized bear or an elk shooting it with home made shafts you've spent time constructing is the nearest you can get to the real thing. 

Long bow is the real test, I shot one badly for 2 or 3 years. Great achievement if you actually hit what your shooting at 😁