410 Catridge Frustration

Been using Hull 3" high pheasant 19grm 6's plastic wad with good effect through half and three quarter chokes. Now shifted to Eley 3" fourten magnum 18grm 6's fibre in a bid to save the planet and the wheels have dramatically come adrift. Don't seem to connect with those pheasants at all now and confidence has plummeted. Before the patterning starts, just wondered if any one could offer some sound, fast-track advice, say a shift in chokes or revert back to a plastic wad.?

Thanks much - Salmo9.

PS - Syndicate colleagues are advising the usually - ditch the 410 and dust off the twelve... Never..

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Drop to 7's in the Eley , I have no problem with them but only using up old SP3 recipe loads amongst my fibre home loads , the 6's just don't have enough pellets.

Are yours the new gsb146 powder?

GSB146 powder - I think so.. Bought a slab of eley fibre 6's about three weeks ago and another slab of fibre 7's last week, new stock I'm told.. Might have to return the 7's and swap for Eley 3" trap plastic 7.5 and use them on the clays. Would love to pattern these fibre shells but it's blowing a hoolie and chucking it down here for the foreseeable..

Thanks to those who've responded. Any further info appreciated..

12 hours ago, Salmo9 said:

Been using Hull 3" high pheasant 19grm 6's plastic wad with good effect through half and three quarter chokes. Now shifted to Eley 3" fourten magnum 18grm 6's fibre in a bid to save the planet and the wheels have dramatically come adrift. Don't seem to connect with those pheasants at all now and confidence has plummeted. Before the patterning starts, just wondered if any one could offer some sound, fast-track advice, say a shift in chokes or revert back to a plastic wad.?

Thanks much - Salmo9.

PS - Syndicate colleagues are advising the usually - ditch the 410 and dust off the twelve... Never..

You can also purchase the High Pheasant in fibre and I am told they shoot more or less the same as the plastic wads.  Richard Gray, Affordable Days, shoots them and it was he who told me .  They are a darn good cartridge. I reload my own but if I need some new cases I either buy Fiocchi 18g or High Pheasant 19g as the cases reload well and they also do the job in the first place.  I shoot 7s as well as they give a slightly better pattern in my gun, I don't think the bird notices the difference if it is in the middle of the pattern.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, Salmo9 said:

GSB146 powder - I think so.. Bought a slab of eley fibre 6's about three weeks ago and another slab of fibre 7's last week, new stock I'm told.. Might have to return the 7's and swap for Eley 3" trap plastic 7.5 and use them on the clays. Would love to pattern these fibre shells but it's blowing a hoolie and chucking it down here for the foreseeable..

Thanks to those who've responded. Any further info appreciated..

Eley No 6 Fibre 18g  - 108 in 30 inch circle

No6_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Drop to 7's in the Eley , I have no problem with them but only using up old SP3 recipe loads amongst my fibre home loads , the 6's just don't have enough pellets.

Are yours the new gsb146 powder?

Eley No 7 Fibre, 35 yards Briley Light Mod Choke (1/4) gives 136 pellets to the No 6 108 pellets in 30 inch when shot through my gun and the 25% increase in pellets is telling.

If you have a powder scale, it would be interesting to know how much GSB146 is in these?

No7_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You can also purchase the High Pheasant in fibre and I am told they shoot more or less the same as the plastic wads.  Richard Gray, Affordable Days, shoots them and it was he who told me .  They are a darn good cartridge. I reload my own but if I need some new cases I either buy Fiocchi 18g or High Pheasant 19g as the cases reload well and they also do the job in the first place.  I shoot 7s as well as they give a slightly better pattern in my gun, I don't think the bird notices the difference if it is in the middle of the pattern.

I'll make a few calls tomorrow and see if there's any local availability for the Hull shells. Had some issues with the high pheasant slab I first bought with occasional mis-fires with the plastic wad sticking in the choke as if there wasn't any powder charge and just the primer pushing the load up the barrel. Very disconcerting at the time but probably a rarity..

I've also been told on a number of occasions how punchie the Fiocchi shells are but sourcing them is a bit of an issue round here, plus I think they're only available with a plastic wad..

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated..

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

My 2 fave .410 shells are gamebore hunting 16 grm no6 and nsi 19 grm no6 .

Both hit really hard out to 30 yds  

The gamebore being a bit quieter if your going  through a hushpower  

Thanks Stu - excuse my ignorance but who manufactures the 'nsi' shell.?

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Eley No 6 Fibre 18g  - 108 in 30 inch circle

No6_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Eley No 7 Fibre, 35 yards Briley Light Mod Choke (1/4) gives 136 pellets to the No 6 108 pellets in 30 inch when shot through my gun and the 25% increase in pellets is telling.

If you have a powder scale, it would be interesting to know how much GSB146 is in these?

No7_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Thanks Stonepark - I'll have this information to you this evening.. Many thanks for the detailed response..

try the  cheddite .410  available in cork wad 24g of size 6 shot in a 3 inch case  and RC do a 24g .410 both subsoinc meant for hushpower guns  not cheaps at 9.50 a box of 25. for cheap and good performance fiocchi 7.5s 19g magnums bowled over many rabbits and hares at 30 35 yards no problems  

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Cheers,

No6 for comparison

No6_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

Nice one Stonepark - as previously requested, I've now weighed the powder from an Eley Extralong Magnum 410:

Weight: 11.8 grains of non spherical powder (believe SP3 to be uniform spherical) this powder looks more 'gritty' and angular if that makes sense. Pellet count was 165 pieces of no.6

Hoping this info is useful.

Thanks much..

16 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Nobel sport italia 

IMG_20190112_135710.jpg

Thanks Stu - didn't even know these existed. Appreciate your response..

3 hours ago, Salmo9 said:

Nice one Stonepark - as previously requested, I've now weighed the powder from an Eley Extralong Magnum 410:

Weight: 11.8 grains of non spherical powder (believe SP3 to be uniform spherical) this powder looks more 'gritty' and angular if that makes sense. Pellet count was 165 pieces of no.6

Hoping this info is useful.

Very helpful, GSB 146 should look like below close up.

Many thanks

GDB146.jpg

Edited by Stonepark