RATS

Joebrock

I use the cheap chocolate spread from the local supermarket spread it on pieces of wood,

/brick with a knife, rats have to lick it off which then gives you a good target, it helps if you do this for a few days for the rats

to get used to this new tasty food and that it appears a safe  feeding area. rat shooting is great fun I use night vision because rats

are nocturnal / night feeders, good luck!!!!

atb brian

ps I am originaly from Suffolk----Stowmarket

Edited by happyshooter

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I thought this too, had a fair few mice on traps baited this way. I have had a trap set up for 3 days where I know there is rats and they haven't touched it.

Might switch to Steve's chocolate recipe.

It's never failed with me. :good:

3 hours ago, happyshooter said:

I use the cheap chocolate spread from the local supermarket spread it on pieces of wood,

/brick with a knife, rats have to lick it off which then gives you a good target, it helps if you do this for a few days for the rats

to get used to this new tasty food and that it appears a safe  feeding area. rat shooting is great fun I use night vision because rats

are nocturnal / night feeders, good luck!!!!

atb brian

ps I am originaly from Suffolk----Stowmarket

I spread/pour the chocolate mix on wood etc too. I was in a barn once that didn't have much light coming in, and a mate and myself put an old light coloured sheet on the floor, then the bait on that. The rats stood out great and made excellent shooting. This was done in daytime hours.

I set three traps in a garden building two plastic ones with little cups for bait one peanut butter one with Nutella and one old wooden little nipper trap with malteaser chocolate button pressed on the bait pin. They went for the malteaeser everytime bar once when one was already caught so second one went for Nutella. Peanut butter never touched. 

All you can do is try.  Seen tuna and milk mixed to a slurry used as they have to lap at it.

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Cheers, I was a bit surprised they didn't touch the peanut butter.

Got to sort it though as they are trying to get underneath a hen with chicks.

I use peanut butter on mouse traps, catching every week,  last rat I shot stopped for melted ice cream.

hello, give us an idea of the farm layout ? as happens i do not do much rat shooting now but my set up for many years is a MK 1 FX vermy and a MK 1 Photon, with a T38 I/R torch, night vision is the way to go, even a DIY add on to a day scope,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Never baited a rat for a trap, used to use a 6'' drain pipe with a fen trap in, placed on a run. Drill holes both ends and use tent pegs slotted in (or strong wire) to stop animals you don't want caught. If needed block one end and bait, but never tried that. 

As for shooting, rats are a close no1 (foxes second) but they are also one of my favourite pets. 

Thanks for all the advice lads. Seems I will have to try all the different methods.

In regards to the layout of the farm it's just a small milking milking parlour and a few cow sheds. Nothing major but a step in the door for the rest of the farmers pests 

Edited by Joebrock

1 minute ago, Joebrock said:

Thanks for all the advice lads. Seems I will have to trtballvthe different methods.

In regards to the layout of the farm it's just a small milking milking parlour and a few cow sheds. Nothing major but a step in the door for the rest of the farmers pests 

hello, just remember your back stops, i shot many in a disused milking parlour with a Crosman 1077 repeater,

Yes my neighbour had rats from the close by countryside every winter under her shed. First year we got chickens she called the council and said we had rats. Pest fella came out and when he knocked on the door, my wife wasn't amused.

Showed him the coop with no spill hanging feeders etc. Showed him where the rats were and examined the coop said no problems all very clean and she had rats every year. He said I know I've been out before to her, now she's blaming you. 

Aviary's can attract them but any food like bins overflowing or bird feeders in gardens are big causes.

Putting traps out or shooting them is better than rat mane laying bait blocks and other poisons around.

Edited by figgy

Yeah see i dont want poison about as i dont know if it could potentially injure my cat as he hunts alot. And as i dont think the neighbour is doing his bit its attracting them. Theres no bins just the birds. I could bait them and shoot them with night vision i suppose but the mrs doesnt like the guns being shot at all in the garden