Field gun with high comb

hutt

Hello,

Is anyone aware of game/field guns with a high comb, that isn't an adjustable one? 

It would seem I need one, there is the occasional trap stock on a game gun that I'll keep my eye out for, but I wonder if any particular models have a high comb. 

Many thanks! 

Some of the earlier Beretta's had quite a high stock, or maybe a Miroku 3800 trap gun. The Miroku trap stock was not overly high, which is why it was the choice as a ' Sporter ' by many. Of course there is also a neoprene sleeve with spacers under it,  to raise any stock.

Ive got a sporterised trap gun already But it doesn’t get much action. 90% of my shooting is rough/walked and my arms feel like they will fall off after a day with it. I bought a 20b silver pig but all I can see is the lever... same on my benelli m2 - but don’t mind glueing something to that. The silver pig can get shopped in for something else light with a high comb. 

4 minutes ago, hutt said:

Ive got a sporterised trap gun already But it doesn’t get much action. 90% of my shooting is rough/walked and my arms feel like they will fall off after a day with it. I bought a 20b silver pig but all I can see is the lever... same on my benelli m2 - but don’t mind glueing something to that. The silver pig can get shopped in for something else light with a high comb. 

Benelli 828U Field. Very light and comes with an adjustable stock facility ( not comb ) as far as I'm aware. 

I was forced to shoot the mk60 for whole season whilst me other gun was having woodwork sorted and I used Eley pigeon Hv I think where 32g 7s or 6.5s and it didn’t make a mess of any birds that where shot all season with it being 3/4 in each barrel.

Hutt, I've been watching this thread develop.

How have you arrived at your conclusion that you need a high combed gun?

I too would not want to carry and shoot a trap gun all day at game.

Perhaps it would be worth fitting a temporary comb raiser to your existing gun, something like the picture. You could raise your eye position and confirm whether it would be worth buying a new gun.

Good luck

beartooth-comb-raising-kit-mk-2.0-brown-neoprene-no-ammo-loops-crknl900-[2]-4401-p.jpg

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hutt, I've been watching this thread develop.

How have you arrived at your conclusion that you need a high combed gun?

I too would not want to carry and shoot a trap gun all day at game.

Perhaps it would be worth fitting a temporary comb raiser to your existing gun, something like the picture. You could raise your eye position and confirm whether it would be worth buying a new gun.

Good luck

beartooth-comb-raising-kit-mk-2.0-brown-neoprene-no-ammo-loops-crknl900-[2]-4401-p.jpg

You've pipped me to the post - I was just about to ask that very question, possibly for the same reason that you did. As above though, I'd go with the Isis comb raiser for the reason given but only obviously if there's one available which is high enough.

1 minute ago, Demonic69 said:

I don't shoot game, I'm just interested as to why you wouldn't want to use a trap gun? What's the detrimental factor compared to a game gun?

My trap guns and my sporters are designed to allow me to comfortably shoot 300 shots in a day, I would not expect to shoot a sixth of that at game.

Hence the guns designed for lots of shots are big and heavy to soak up the recoil.

My Game guns are much lighter and invariably have less choke too.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My trap guns and my sporters are designed to allow me to comfortably shoot 300 shots in a day, I would not expect to shoot a sixth of that at game.

Hence the guns designed for lots of shots are big and heavy to soak up the recoil.

My Game guns are much lighter and invariably have less choke too.

Ah right, makes sense, cheers!

So I was loitering around a gun shop with the ideal of shopping in my silver pigeon and they stuck this laser thing in my bottom barrel and asked me to aim at a target and the laser was 6” below.. so they raised the comb until it was right and said I need a gun with a high comb. I’ve always thought I should see a flat rib and the bead, but I could see a large amount of rib with what he was suggesting. 

4 hours ago, hutt said:

So I was loitering around a gun shop with the ideal of shopping in my silver pigeon and they stuck this laser thing in my bottom barrel and asked me to aim at a target and the laser was 6” below.. so they raised the comb until it was right and said I need a gun with a high comb. I’ve always thought I should see a flat rib and the bead, but I could see a large amount of rib with what he was suggesting. 

Any static test can never be totally reliable and apart from that your final phrase would appear to contradict the result. One thing to possibly bear in mind is that"big" doesn't always mean a long stock and sometimes it can be the reverse. As no one can really help from afar and as I think from some of your earlier posts you're Bristol way - and you could also get the Benelli serviced while you're at it - you could do worse than nipping down the M5 - coming off at J25 would be the conventional exit but I find it easier from J 26 - and have a chat to UK Gun Repairs. For a start they have a pattern plate just outside the door.

Closed on Thursdays.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Any static test can never be totally reliable and apart from that your final phrase would appear to contradict the result. One thing to possibly bear in mind is that"big" doesn't always mean a long stock and sometimes it can be the reverse. As no one can really help from afar and as I think from some of your earlier posts you're Bristol way - and you could also get the Benelli serviced while you're at it - you could do worse than nipping down the M5 - coming off at J25 would be the conventional exit but I find it easier from J 26 - and have a chat to UK Gun Repairs. For a start they have a pattern plate just outside the door.

Best way to find out!