Chris packham, Australia wild fires

whitehackle

We have spent too much time keeping our head down. Everybody enjoys country sports needs to promote it at every given (winnable) opportunity.  

By winnable I mean, no point arguing with someone who wont listen.  But there are plenty of people who will listen.

A few years ago alot of the grouse moor owners got together abd created the "moorland group", there are different branches of it, its run by moorlands gamekeepers. I my local one is peak district moorland group. They where set up to promote grouse shooting to the general public, showing the conservation benefits to moorland management.  

This is also a group that needs supporting, even if it is just following them on social media,  liking, commenting and sharing their posts. They put some really good stuff on, particularly in spring when everything is nesting.

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

I’m with NB on this one. Shooters should be good on bird identification before setting out with a gun.

I am not saying shooters should know any bird or animal species LB!  Apart from what they are shooting of coarse!! Especially the little brown jobies. Many folk don't! I was just surprised that two fellas who had shot pigeons for 40 plus years that lived/worked in the country didn't known some common species or were bothered about other pest/vermin control after commenting on how good it was to see the growing  number of different birds on that farm. One reckoned he had never seen a yellowhammer or the reed bunting i pointed out before.      NB

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, BBC4 9 pm, Chris Packham,  how punk rock gave me the meaning of life ??????

That explains a lot, a weak mind listening to anti establishment "billy brag" class warfare music, then the same weak mind connecting tweed clad shooters burning moorland and its inhabitants, responsible for climate change and eventual destruction of the planet. ....forget the reality of working class shooters and conservationist's that put the countryside first and politics last

1 hour ago, whitehackle said:

We have spent too much time keeping our head down. Everybody enjoys country sports needs to promote it at every given (winnable) opportunity.  

By winnable I mean, no point arguing with someone who wont listen.  But there are plenty of people who will listen.

A few years ago alot of the grouse moor owners got together abd created the "moorland group", there are different branches of it, its run by moorlands gamekeepers. I my local one is peak district moorland group. They where set up to promote grouse shooting to the general public, showing the conservation benefits to moorland management.  

This is also a group that needs supporting, even if it is just following them on social media,  liking, commenting and sharing their posts. They put some really good stuff on, particularly in spring when everything is nesting.

Thanks 

Very true Whitehackle! Good post!    NB 

On 06/01/2020 at 20:23, panoma1 said:

Manipulative and Aspergers, quite a potent combination! His illness appears to manifest itself in misanthropy, and maybe this goes some way to explain his seemingly obsessive hatred of, and commitment to undermining, accusing and verbally assaulting shooters, shooting, farmers, gamekeepers and anyone else in the countryside who doesn’t share his opinions/views.
He has manipulated the media for years! The media in turn brainwash the public by unquestioningly regurgitating his unproven allegations through their outlets. Whether his allegations are true or false, seemingly it matters not to him, we all know..... “chuck enough mud and some sticks”, a fact which suits his extremist anti agenda, he makes outrageous public allegations, without the evidence with which the authorities could bring a prosecution, because there ain’t no evidence! And because of this, these allegations are difficult to counter.......he has manipulated shooting into being “guilty until proven innocent” in the eyes of the public.......the media don’t care, and our representatives seem incapable of challenging him!

Perfect summation.

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

It’s always been part of the same thing for me. How can anyone want to take up hunting without being interested in natural history first? 

i know a few shooters who got interested in guns before they knew anything about wildlife/nature and these are the ones which have no respect for their quarry and don't know when they have shot enough(treat quarry as clays)

Behave - that's all well and good for anyone who wants to get more involved with nature - but the above has a potential of putting more hoops out to jump through before a licence issue. 

We'd then need to be able to identify all birds and animals before undertaking control of specific vermin with firearms. You can be sure hunting would become blurred to include vermin control. 

Be careful what ideas you put into peoples heads please

Edited by Dave-G

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Behave - that's all well and good for anyone who wants to get more involved with nature - but the above has a potential of putting more hoops out to jump through before a licence issue. 

We'd then need to be able to identify all birds and animals before undertaking control of specific vermin with firearms. You can be sure hunting would become blurred to include vermin control. 

Great idea!

Should be compulsory.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Agree with you there Dave! NO! We don't need any more legislation dumped on us! I think we can work with the GL as it is! No more rules! All sides are much more aware now! I really do actually believe this whole thing and our submissions of information to DEFRA has made them realise how passionate some of us are and what a valuable free service we provide not only to agriculture and conservation, but we are also  another valuable set of eyes and ears in the countryside with all the cuts and rural crime becoming a bigger problem! 

So long as folk know there quarry species that's fine! In my previous post i was just surprised that two county fellas that  had shot for more than 40 years didn't naturally know more given the amount of time they spend in the field! Not everyone involved in country sports or farmers will be, want to be or needs to be a conservationist. Just like the rest of the public so long as they understand, support and know why and what some of us choose to do! Because we do care and it's as much part of and our way of life as shooting is! If you can get them in to/give them wild food even better! From my own experience, If we are all open and willing to start a conservation and maybe educate folk we will get support! They haven't got to agree with us! Just understand a bit more and not be against us! People are not as gulable or against us as the anti's would have you believe with there constant rabid media rants! The more recent in ya face vegan lot has shown that from what i have experienced! Be interesting what reaction the pig program on tonight will have! Farming community already reacting to it.     NB

4 hours ago, London Best said:

It’s always been part of the same thing for me. How can anyone want to take up hunting without being interested in natural history first? 

Exactly, I was mad about animals, birds, etc in general as a little kid. I would guess a natural born hunter, which is why I insist that hunting in it's many guises is a human right.

“I ask, very candidly, what do you think smallpox, measles, mumps and malaria are for?"

“But there’s no reason why we shouldn’t analyse this from a biological perspective."

The first comment seems to infer the presence of a Deity working to a plan? Not sure about the second.

As to excess consumption I think we should have CP Fashion Watch all his outfits seem very new unlike most people who spend time outdoors

Edited by Dibble

5 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Vermin control is hunting.

2 hours ago, simonm said:

I really, really really hate to say it but I agree on that point. The human population is growing exponentially, anything that controls is must be a good thing, surely.