Pellet prices

figgy

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Ok  fair points .but how do pound shops make a profit  ? And stay in business 

They are a chain store with a massive warehouse and they pay about half what they sell for with a constant stream pf people paying a the till. If you do mail order and sell on ebay then approx 15% goes to ebay / paypal and a minimum of £2 goes in postage so your £10 pellets gives the seller £6.50 so he makes 7p.

Edited by sportsbob

1 hour ago, figgy said:

All this sold at a loss is carp.  Same with cartridges. They still make a profit or they wouldn't sell them.

If they make 5pence in a tin it's still a proffit, their time is just that time. They're there regardless.

Wrong they are there to earn a wage and pay the bills.

How am I wrong, they're still making a profit.

Where have I stated they're nitthereto make money Sportsbob ? 

Please enlighten me and show where I've said they're not to make a profit.

Profit is profit, if you choose not to stock or sell your cutting your foot traffic and potential for them to buy other stuff while there.

From your breakdown the sellers on eBay are only making 7p per tin, is this fact? 

Edited by figgy

49 minutes ago, figgy said:

How am I wrong, they're still making a profit.

Where have I stated they're nitthereto make money Sportsbob ? 

Please enlighten me and show where I've said they're not to make a profit.

Profit is profit, if you choose not to stock or sell your cutting your foot traffic and potential for them to buy other stuff while there.

From your breakdown the sellers on eBay are only making 7p per tin, is this fact? 

As you know , profit is only what’s left after paying the over heads . It’s eye watering the price of rent and rates lately. 

what’s really bad is you can’t buy commercial property with out a 35% deposit unlike housing . My unit is £300,000 so I’ll never achieve my goal 😞 

This 5p and 7p is pretty extreme but there is indeed very little proffit in pellets or cartridges or many other things for that matter.

My shop in small and as mentioned earlier there could be a huge outlay on pellets if you tried to please everyone.

Some suppliers do indeed insist on a minimum of 50 tins but that's 50 of each......in .177 that could be 50 tins of 4.50, 50 tins of 4.51, and 50 of 4.52, I'm sure there a 4.53 too. Then the .22s with 2 or 3 sizes. That's just One type. Last count I think we had 40 odd types of pellet (brand, type, calibre and size) 

There are about 8 types of bisley . 

We are not "there anyway". We need to make a profit to keep the doors open. 

Rent, rates, insurance, alarms, utilities, advertising.....the list could go on.

I could easily give up my shop tomorrow and make more money by concentrating on my other businesses. When someone says "it's just your time" then they don't realise that my time costs money that I could be making elsewhere. The money that's tied up in stock isn't making money elsewhere. The time I put into book keeping, tax and VAT returns and general day to day running of the shop means that every purchase of stock has to be very carefully considered. Some brands of pellet just aren't worth stocking. I try to but to do so means that I have to buy from suppliers like sgc and then the meagre margin becomes even less.

Put it into perspective at all?

Edd

My saying your there anyway was in the context of you might as well stock them and make some profit than not and non as your there anyway.

As a business man why on earth would you run a business that's not in your best interests. You day you can make more concentrating elsewhere. I can understand why you don't do that. 

The saying goes every little helps.

As for suppliers of pellets, buy from another supplier if that one will only sell in bulks of 50 for each head size.

I like to support a local business if they have what I need. None of my local.aces have the head size of pellets I require. 

I started this topic as a thread to find what pellet prices are around the country and how much they differ. Don't mind a bit of profit but would you buy off a supplier charging 30% more than another?

Edited by figgy

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Over here you can buy old sailboats for $1000.  Scrap the aluminum mast and stuff for a few hundred dollars.  Then you got 2200lbs of lead keel.  

2200lb roughly a 997kg. Lead ranges here in scrap between £1 - £1.25 a kilo. 

Besides if you owned enough land to scrap/dismantle a boat, you shouldn't be worried about scrap prices. Then you'd probably need to get a waste disposal licence for all the other junk. 

Great idea but wouldn't really work in the UK. Or I'd be on it 😀

My jsbs I think were £15 and airarms £16. Can remember eley waps being £3.50 when I had a supersport mk1 😒

I honestly don't mind paying extra money on pellets as I like the whole experience of going to a gun room, and i only do it once every few months when I actually get a Saturday off work. Also if I put diesel in the car to drive somewhere further to get them cheaper, I'd be worse off. But today's market is now Internet based, and when I cant get out when the shops are open I order of ramsbottom as ive never had bad service from them. 

Edited by strimmer_13

On 11/01/2020 at 08:04, team tractor said:

It’s still £500 tho . Could be many months before they make it back . I guess if another brand is happy to send half that they’ll get the order. 

Not enough mark up available to bother with he said. 

On 11/01/2020 at 09:58, Ultrastu said:

Not sure what the mark up on pellets  is but it wont be a lot  so 50 tins will probably cos the rfd around  £ 400  and they sell them all for around £600 .ish .

Point is .shops like country ways  /bar .buy pellets by the pallet full and thats  just one brand  like jsb .

Lots of people my self included often buy a few sleeves at a time .last time i bought jsb kings i bought 30 tins .

I went into my local rfd over xmas and bought an assortment of tins to try . (6 in total) 

So if a shop thinks small they will stay small  .

That maybe depends on your available target sales area?

11 hours ago, figgy said:

My saying your there anyway was in the context of you might as well stock them and make some profit than not and non as your there anyway.

As a business man why on earth would you run a business that's not in your best interests. You day you can make more concentrating elsewhere. I can understand why you don't do that. 

The saying goes every little helps.

As for suppliers of pellets, buy from another supplier if that one will only sell in bulks of 50 for each head size.

I like to support a local business if they have what I need. None of my local.aces have the head size of pellets I require. 

I started this topic as a thread to find what pellet prices are around the country and how much they differ. Don't mind a bit of profit but would you buy off a supplier charging 30% more than another?

Making "some profit" on  pellets often comes at the expense of making profit on something else. 

If I had to spend £2000 on pellets and that returned £2500 over 6 months that's a bad investment when compared to (for example) £2000 on guns from private sellers.

£2k could easily return £3k in a month or two. 

Having cash on hand to buy guns brought in is how we as a shop are able to buy guns at good prices and make a reasonable profit to keep the business alive. 50 pence a tin of pellets (often after people complaining that you charge 50p more than eBay!) is not good business.

Of course we still do it. It's one of those things that keeps people coming through the door and maybe they will see our second hand guns. But it is impossible for us and many other small shops to stock all pellets at competitive prices.

As far as why I put time and effort into my shop when I could make more money elsewhere then sometimes I really do wonder and question if I should close the doors. But if everyone thought like that there would be no gun shops. Selling guns is not an easy way to make a living but from my point of view it may be what I do if and when I retire from other things. It will never make a fortune but it may make a few pounds and keep me out of trouble.

Edd

Special offer on pellets at ####. Half price today.

Hahahahaha

Why does the filter stop me putting gun, shop and UK as one word?!?@?@?

Edited by eddoakley

15 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Over here you can buy old sailboats for $1000.  Scrap the aluminum mast and stuff for a few hundred dollars.  Then you got 2200lbs of lead keel.  

Or you got a mother load of lead for slugs! get yourself a .50 cal pop gun and a casting kit :)