Ducks sticking after Xmas

It's one of the things I really don't think looks good. The problem is because the ducks are fed on the pond. Seen people do all sorts, and get increasingly irate in the process, to produce (v. best case) a mediocre bird to be shot.

If you want to shoot reared ducks feed them away and then fly them back or if you want to continue what you are doing, just accept you don't have to shoot them all.

Thanks lads, we been out again today and had one pond where only half flew, a quarter we managed to walk out but the rest were well stuck. . . . . we have done the feeding down the fodder beat some way, gave them flying lessons with a rim fire ( which works pretty well ) tried fireworks, dogs, lines across with streamers etc but just wondered what works best for you guys? Even wonder in jest if we could train a fox to heel !!!

Edited by mgsontour
typo

22 hours ago, Teal said:

It's one of the things I really don't think looks good. The problem is because the ducks are fed on the pond. Seen people do all sorts, and get increasingly irate in the process, to produce (v. best case) a mediocre bird to be shot.

If you want to shoot reared ducks feed them away and then fly them back or if you want to continue what you are doing, just accept you don't have to shoot them all.

Spot on 👍

if it comes to such extreme measures as fire works, ropes etc it is time to walk away and give them best. Shooting ducks which have to be flushed in such ways does shooting no favours. Maybe best to cull them on the water before they get a chance to pollute the wild mallard gene pool. 

Tame duck bag filler drives are a little grim in my opinion. I know it’s shades of grey but I don’t think it does our sport any favours. If you want ducks, my preference is to feed near the pond through the year to encourage wild mallard. Wide circle the pond and slowly approach, shooting only away. Much better sport. 

On 08/01/2020 at 19:17, mossy835 said:

make them walk for there food as said.feed away from the pond and  move  the food further away, now and again.

How far Dave?  we are doing a pond and were hoping to put some ducks down and feed the wild as well. Not a clue about ducks 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

We used to feed them off the back of a quad drawing them ever further from the pond then put a dog on them to send them back. This was done prior to the start of the season rather than so late in. 

Thanks for your advice. It is very much appreciated