G Hinton Taunton

CaptC

Sorry to open another thread re George Hinton but would anyone know where or who might have Hinton's records? I think C Hellis took over the company?

A lot of Hinton guns were made by S White of Birmingham and were of good quality circa the 1920's.

Any help appreciated!

According to Nigel Brown's book 'British Gunmaker's Vol 2', the Hinton records were inadvertently thrown away following the death of John Hellis's mother.

Apparently J.M.L.Hellis can be contacted at -:

No longer at this address

and would be pleased to try to assist owners of Hinton guns with their enquiries.

Hope that this helps.

OB

Edited by Teal
Moved

15 hours ago, CaptC said:

Sorry to open another thread re George Hinton but would anyone know where or who might have Hinton's records? I think C Hellis took over the company?

A lot of Hinton guns were made by S White of Birmingham and were of good quality circa the 1920's.

Any help appreciated!

Paul,

Further info just sent by email,

Regards,

Chris

On 08/01/2020 at 09:04, Old Boggy said:

According to Nigel Brown's book 'British Gunmaker's Vol 2', the Hinton records were inadvertently thrown away following the death of John Hellis's mother.

Apparently J.M.L.Hellis can be contacted at -:

Moved address

And would be pleased to try to assist owners of Hinton guns with their enquiries.

Hope that this helps.

OB

Received with thanks!

Just what I was after! Well done and thank you! Hellis (Gunmaker) took over Hinton's business until (I think) the 70's.

Edited by Teal
Moved

• 1 year later...

Hi,I dont know of any records of this gun maker but I have and still use a George Hinton s/s box lock n/e with 28" barrels it has the name The Criterion engraved on the top rib,it is in lovely condition.My late father bought it in 1950 secondhand in Wellington and has been in our family for 70 years.King Regards Julian f James.