Is it just me?

chrislightning

So off I went, strong wind a bit of rain in the air. But undeterred, I found where the pigeons were feeding rushed my hide up and started banging away. I had an exciting couple of hours, the pigeons were fast and challenging. But that’s not the reason I’m here... is it just me that when the hide is literally falling apart, stroking your head while you wait, gaping from the sides, constantly in need of repair.... that the pigeons keep coming and you make a half decent bag.

But, when you shoot maybe the same field in the same season with the same (ish) number of pigeons spotted. You build a hide of architectural prowess. I mean it has strong foundations, fantastic visibility , it’s spacious, the door (flap) has great accessibility, you genuinely feel “hidden” and not a ******* pigeon entertains the set up!

Just me?!

Think it’s just how the pigeons decide to play on yer day , I’ve had days when I’ve been out early set up hide , decoys out , whirlybird going , floaters floating and have hardly fired a cartridge !          Also had a day when walked out with just a pocket full of carts and stood against a tree facing the field and banged off fifty odd carts in half hour on suicidal pigeons dropping in ! Frustrating to say th3 least but then as they say “ if it was easy any fool could do it “ 

16 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

Think it’s just how the pigeons decide to play on yer day , I’ve had days when I’ve been out early set up hide , decoys out , whirlybird going , floaters floating and have hardly fired a cartridge !          Also had a day when walked out with just a pocket full of carts and stood against a tree facing the field and banged off fifty odd carts in half hour on suicidal pigeons dropping in ! Frustrating to say th3 least but then as they say “ if it was easy any fool could do it “ 

What he said.:good:

Most of my hides seem to end up gaping at all sides and falling on my head when the dog has been in and out a few times. Try as hard as I like to get the dog to come in the side that I lift up but often he is not convinced and has his own ideas of the best way back in. 

22 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Over the past months shooting we have had to constantly change the set up with flappers and magnets to get the birds to come close. They seem very wary of any set up at present it may be that the weather is mild and they can live off the hedgerows and not bothered with crops.

Same here PC. But without your success and less birds. Outings with hard earned modest bags of 20 plus might come off 3 different farms. Often days end up walking the hedges roost shooting and squirrel bashing.( Pound a tail at mo). Still something to see and learn every time tho and it keeps the farmers happy if your about.  NB