2007 Hilux as family all rounder

arm3000gt

Evening

I have the option to buy a 2007 Hilux (3.0 manual) for cheap. It has no MOT, few battle scars, 120,000 of easy life. Looking at what is needed could be just a few hours work and a few hundred pounds to get the MOT, maybe another £1000 to get it nice. Even with this expenditure it would still be below ebay and Autotrader values.

What I want to know is what they are like as a daily drive and long distances? Would it make a good all round family vehicle?

I currently have a 2003 Kia Sorento has anyone had both? Is the Hilux more comfortable on the road?

I'm expecting fuel economy to be broadly the same at about 30mpg.

Thanks

Should have said it is a double cab.

Pick ups are OK as cars go but they're big, noisy, expensive to run and repair, there's no boot just the pick up bed which seems like a great idea for all the kids stuff until you have to send a child, sherpa and pack mule in there to find something right at the back. I haven't had a sit in a brand spanker but the last new truck I sat in even though it was top of the range was still very basic and utilitarian, even the armarok. I always liked the Nissan Pathfinder which was basically a navara with seats in the load bed and an extended cab rather than the pick up bed. 

I would like a Pathfinder but the ones I can afford are the same model which suffers from snapped chassis (D40??). I live in a quite rural spot and the wife has a horse so nice to have something a bit robust to tackle anything that might be required.

I'm just tempted because it's priced close enough for me to buy it. Seller said he is in no rush to sell so ponder it for a while.  I saw it yesterday and apart from body  damage and dirty interior seems good all round. Maybe a compromise too far.

I have had both. They are chalk and cheese. One is a car one is a truck. The new model Lux which I have now would work as a family truck relatively smooth and comfortable but as practical as it is as a truck its impractical without a boot for family stuff. I don't see them (Hilux) as expensive to run road tax is just £260 insurance is low, good on tyres and pretty much bomb proof but if i wanted a family car I would buy something else. 

On 07/01/2020 at 21:43, washerboy said:

Family car 😀😀😀😀... Sorry 

My friend has one and as car to take the kids in and go shopping and other mundane stuff they are hopeless. I would buy it and then a cheap small car for the wife and children. 

Well we have an L200 and have to do all the above but I wouldn't certainly call it hopeless, we find it far better than a car, granted parking can be a Pita buy hey walking an extra 500 yards across a car park is hardly an issue to put me off having it!

23 minutes ago, button said:

Well we have an L200 and have to do all the above but I wouldn't certainly call it hopeless, we find it far better than a car, granted parking can be a Pita buy hey walking an extra 500 yards across a car park is hardly an issue to put me off having it!

Same here had 4 L200’s now, does the work commute.  Family car and goes shooting perfect for it. The current series 5  does all in a certain amount of comfort.  Dogs bikes etc go in the back, never seem to have an issue parking but guess I have had trucks long enough to be able to park them

Only a few weeks into L200 ownership and no small people yet, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t use them as a daily.  Parking is only a PITA if you are one of these people who insist on parking as close as possible to the supermarket entrance rather walking 50m there and back.

Ride comfort is a bit below car levels due to the cart springs in the back. However given the state of the roads we endure in this country, it’s not something that concerns me unduly.

As Ben pointed out, you do need to figure out some kind of ‘system’ for managing the rear load area or be prepared to send your smallest offspring on a retrieval mission. This is the biggest disadvantage as far as I’m concerned, even the decent spec trucks have little to no means of cargo restraint/management fitted.

22 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Only a few weeks into L200 ownership and no small people yet, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t use them as a daily.  Parking is only a PITA if you are one of these people who insist on parking as close as possible to the supermarket entrance rather walking 50m there and back.

Ride comfort is a bit below car levels due to the cart springs in the back. However given the state of the roads we endure in this country, it’s not something that concerns me unduly.

As Ben pointed out, you do need to figure out some kind of ‘system’ for managing the rear load area or be prepared to send your smallest offspring on a retrieval mission. This is the biggest disadvantage as far as I’m concerned, even the decent spec trucks have little to no means of cargo restraint/management fitted.

I use a plasterers bath length ways in the bed clipped to a tensioned rope. Stuff goes in the bath and when the tail gate is closed it presses it against the rope, holding it tight. When you open the tail gate the bath slides forward onto the tailgate.

I have removed the canopy and installed a rigid tonneau. Its far easier to reverse down tracks, more waterproof and a one person job to take on and off. 

Thanks for your views gents. As always there will be differing opinions and good to see not everyone hates or loves them. It would be mainly my vehicle day to day and pile the family in it when we do 'things'. Shopping and other tasks are normally tackled by the wife's car. When we get another dog a pick-up appeals, as does when collecting hay, feed, wood etc.

With regards to ride. My Sorento is a bit 'choppy' on the country roads I use everyday, the old work Ford Ranger 2006 had a smoother ride i think. 

I have a hilux invincible, double cab with truckman top, 61 plate. I have two kids, eldest is 7yrs. I use mine for everything from working on the shoot to the school run. 

Yes its a bit noisy, but only from the outside. Don't really notice it inside. Its great on the motorway and comfortably cruises at 70mph, with lots more power in reserve! We quite often go on holiday in it and the back swallows the luggage (all girls!!!) including their bikes etc. Used to swallow, cot, pram, pushchairs etc.

Excellent off road and in the snow (with All terrain tyres). Last time it snowed the girls loved going out and rescuing all their school friends parents!

The only downside that i have found is its length. Its the same size as a vivaro van. You need a big parking space.  I have a reversing camera which is invaluable. In some multi storey carparks it can be a bit tight manoeuvring.

I will definitely be getting another pickup when the time comes to replace mine.

6 months into Amarok ownership, first pick up (62 plate). It’s a family car first and foremost. We’ve three kids and two dogs, would reccommend, especially for trips away where we seem to take most of our worldly possessions. 

Downsides already mentioned, consideration Re parking and sending the first born into the load area for packing/unpacking. 

The fact that Mrs Hod would take the pick up rather than the car, for any journey, speaks volumes. 

I've been wondering about a twin cab - I drive these regularly in my p/t job - but recently discovered you are limited to 60mph on dual carriageways if vehicle was first registered as a commercial (ie if VAT rated) and this carries through to subsequent owners. One of my colleagues got done and had to go on speed awareness course where this was explained to him. These vehicles are quite stable at higher speeds so this surely does not make sense?

I have an old pickup (2003 Mazda) that I use as a second car. I also have a company car (Nissan Quasqui) honestly I use the pickup more at the weekends than the car. Yes you need to think about what you put in the back, but stuff scatters over the boot of a normal car too. Just get a storage box.

My mate also has a hilux as his only car, 2 sprogs, easily swallows buggy’s toys and other assorted child junk. 

15 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Seems it might not be such a foolish idea after all. Thanks for all your input.

Far from it, after having been in a company car scheme for years and having the usual BMW's, VW's, Audi's etc came out two years ago, took the plunge and got the L200 and have no regrets at all, go for it

On 09/01/2020 at 20:52, oowee said:

I use a plasterers bath length ways in the bed clipped to a tensioned rope. Stuff goes in the bath and when the tail gate is closed it presses it against the rope, holding it tight. When you open the tail gate the bath slides forward onto the tailgate.

I have removed the canopy and installed a rigid tonneau. Its far easier to reverse down tracks, more waterproof and a one person job to take on and off. 

Hmmm, cunning idea Grant.  May have to copy that.

As for getting shot of the canopy: the damn thing drives me crazy! A brief scout on Ebay shows L200 tonneaus aren't exactly cheap though, where did you source yours from?