Self employed

wigeon jim

After 50 years working on the same farm I was made redundant at the end of October , been enjoying the free time to do more fowling ect, I now have a few local farms offering me part time work, they say everything would be easier if I was self employed , has anyone gone down that road and is it an easy enough thing to sort out?    Jim.

How good are you at paperwork? And using the government gateway website?

registering is easy least, 5 mins on the website. Then you have to fill in your own tax return. If you’re only doing bits and bobs you might not hit the tax threshold, otherwise remember to hold enough back to pay tax at the end of the year!

insurance would be something to get though, as you wouldn’t be covered by their insurance anymore I would think.

7 hours ago, wigeon jim said:

After 50 years working on the same farm I was made redundant at the end of October

7 hours ago, team tractor said:

Surely your 65

Wait, what? I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be along shortly ( @oowee  ??) but I smell something distinctly rodent-esque here?  Maybe I'm just an old sceptic, but redundancy a few months before your pension age?  Even if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, you must take some professional advice (as has been mentioned on other threads) - paying for it if necessary.

It may be that, actually, signing on (thus appearing to keep your NI contributions up) and 'looking for work' would be the best move for you, financially, at this point. But, again, the above advice could well be worth exactly what you paid for it.

If nothing else, have a read here

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Wait, what? I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be along shortly ( @oowee  ??) but I smell something distinctly rodent-esque here?  Maybe I'm just an old sceptic, but redundancy a few months before your pension age?  Even if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, you must take some professional advice (as has been mentioned on other threads) - paying for it if necessary.

It may be that, actually, signing on (thus appearing to keep your NI contributions up) and 'looking for work' would be the best move for you, financially, at this point. But, again, the above advice could well be worth exactly what you paid for it.

If nothing else, have a read here

You can be made redundant at any age. The Government scrapped the age redundancy limits (18 and 65) and the payments taper that applied to 64 year olds in 2006 reflecting people living and working longer. 

Redundancy pay calculator is here.

Redundancy must be fair and your  rights are here

For your situation it may be difficult to resolve unfairness if there is any but either way make sure you have the min £10500 and if you are unsure take advice. 

Self employment is an easy route to go down and may well give you a degree of flexibility that suits your circumstances. This may help.  It seems a phaff at first but it can be worth the effort after you get over the initial worries that can go with it. I don't know the nature of your work but given the high levels of risk associated with farm work check your insurance and think twice about cash in hand. 

Yes I got 20 years redundancy, don't want to sign on for the reasons above , just looking for the best way to work a few hours here and there and keeping every thing above board,. Paper work shouldn't be to bad as it would only be hours worked, I think! Will probably still work part time after retirement age ,( so the wife tells me) ,.  Jim.

Jim

Go for it. It's simple,  straightforward and keeps everything above board.

We have a couple of people who do odd days and occasional weeks for us here on the farm at busy times and they are self employed. They do all the paperwork and tax returns themselves and have no problem doing so.

Just make sure you keep your NI and tax up to date.

You can register as self-employed at www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed and by clicking on the 'register online' link.

The registration will be processed within 7 weeks and will automatically set-up an online account for you to file a Self Assessment tax return

You will be sent an activation code, an 'SA250 SA Welcome' letter with confirmation of your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number in the post.

If you have been in SA before your UTR number will likely remain the same.

Edited by Davyo

Sorry to hear that you were made redundant! If it’s simply one year until your pension age, maybe tighten your belt and squirrel away as much as you can while going self employed! That way if your due a tax bill you will have most if not more than enough to pay it! 

I do 30 hours a week at the mo to spend more time with my dad to make sure he is OK. On that I get £9 an hour and only pay a few hundred a year in tax! It’s the NI that eats into my wage! In total between tax and NI I pay around £1000-£1200 per year. 

what I am trying to say is try “if you can” to make small savings here and there to have some funds left at the end of the year for your tax bill, but remember there is also NI to pay! 

hope it all works out for you :good: 

Edited by Lord Geordie