Dilemma

mattyg1086

So I do around 25-30k a year to work for which I use an 07 plate diesel vectra, which I am happy with.   It has been faultless so far although is now fast approaching 200k miles.      But i also have two dogs and three children and we go camping.     I am looking to get a car which I can get three car seats across the back and two dogs plus camping gear in the back and I can take shooting/beating/picking up .     I have looked at pickups but I don't think I could get there car seats across the back so have also looked at shoguns.  My thoughts have been keep the vectra for work and buy a 3k ish shogun or similar for the other duties.  Can anyone give me any advise on a vehicle to look at or should I get rid of the vectra and try to get one that will fit all purposes.         

Sorry for the long winded post

Cheers all and happy New year  

Edited by mattyg1086

Volvo xc70 d5?

Full size estate that will take a 32 inch gun across the load area, D5 will do monster miles, and 4wd if you need it. Lower tax from 2012 for the 215 bhp version.

We have the 2wd version, its comfy, and roomy.not the best at anything,but very good never the less, we stumbled across an early low miler (hard to find sensible miles in these) and have not regretted it.

Edited by Rupert

27 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Volvo xc70 d5?

Full size estate that will take a 32 inch gun across the load area, D5 will do monster miles, and 4wd if you need it. Lower tax from 2012 for the 215 bhp version.

We have the 2wd version, its comfy, and roomy.not the best at anything,but very good never the less, we stumbled across an early low miler (hard to find sensible miles in these) and have not regretted it.

Thank you I will have a look

23 minutes ago, snow white said:

Volvo Xc 90

Cheers👍

Edited by mattyg1086

Vw transporter.

camping , work, shooting etc no problem.

kombi is 48” between wheel arches plus the arches so I guess 60” easy to fit 3 car seats across in the kombi . 

I couldn’t be without mine. Only downside is budget normally. 
150bhp 0-60 in 10.8 ( apparently) 

120mph top speed and 40mpg.

i don’t drive quick but it’s nice knowing it’s there

Edited by team tractor

53 minutes ago, mattyg1086 said:

have also looked at shotguns.         

Bit harsh, were you thinking for the wife, the kids or god forbid, the dogs 😁😁

I am in a similar boat myself and my thoughts keep coming back to a Subaru Forester, although I am not sure if it would fit 3 seats across the back,  they are plenty large enough, have fairly good ground clearance for an estate/SUV and a more than capable 4wd system and not too bad on the MPG (for the diesel)

Edited by KronKron
Grammar !

Absolutely Volvo XC70,  D5, diesel 2.4, mines 220 Bhp, kerb weight 1893. Tow limit 2100, proper work horse good value second hand and goes almost anywhere you will need. If you look carefully one with a child pack fitted has 2 child seats that fold up from the rear seat bases to 2 different heights and loads of space between for a third fitting. Loads of rear luggage space and shed loads under the floor. I tow a large caravan and occasionally a trailer. They also have a dog guard fitted as standard. Auto are far better but expensive if they go wrong. I've never had a minutes problem with mine, best car I've ever had.

20200108_181548.jpg

23 minutes ago, KronKron said:

I am in a similar boat myself and my thoughts keep coming back to a Subaru Forester, although I am not sure if it would fit 3 seats across the back,  they are plenty large enough, have fairly good ground clearance for an estate/SUV and a more than capable 4wd system and not too bad on the MPG (for the diesel)

Oh yeah sorry I'll change that   ha ha 

25 minutes ago, KronKron said:

Thank you i will check them out.  Heard bad things about he boxer diesel unit though 

10 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Absolutely Volvo XC70,  D5, diesel 2.4, mines 220 Bhp, kerb weight 1893. Tow limit 2100, proper work horse good value second hand and goes almost anywhere you will need. If you look carefully one with a child pack fitted has 2 child seats that fold up from the rear seat bases to 2 different heights and loads of space between for a third fitting. Loads of rear luggage space and shed loads under the floor. I tow a large caravan and occasionally a trailer. They also have a dog guard fitted as standard. Auto are far better but expensive if they go wrong. I've never had a minutes problem with mine, best car I've ever had.

20200108_181548.jpg

One of the few that will be an easy sell the other side of 200k.

13 minutes ago, mattyg1086 said:

Oh yeah sorry I'll change that   ha ha 

Thank you i will check them out.  Heard bad things about he boxer diesel unit though 

Made me chuckle

Haven't done much research into the forester diesels, it was just my initial thoughts based on the 'sure footedness' of the Subaru 4wd system and relatively good ground clearance. Given the responses It may well be worth looking at the Volvo following,

In a similar vein to the Xc70 would be the audi allroad,  i was looking  at A6 wagons when we bought our volvo, i found some really nice allroads, particularly in the 2.5 and 2.7  diesels, tending to be driven by older individuals, the type with immaculate gardens and hedges, 

Honda CRV 2.2 diesel. Back seat on mine came ready to take 3 child seats across the rear. 32" barrels go across the boot, above the wheel arches. My 2013 has just clocked up 52,000, runs great and gives 40+ mpg on a run. I'm on my second, but I am hanging on to this one, it has electric everything and is fast enough, when I need it to be. I have done some semi serious off roading, (especially in the last few months) without getting stuck and passed a stuck Rangey (road tyres and driver error). 

I've just done 4 years in a Skoda Superb estate SEL 190bhp Diesel ,VW ish build quality loads of toys. They are massive inside don't compare published figures against competitors I can't fit half the amount in my new RAV4 whatever Toyota say. 400Nm of torque, It would spin the wheels in 3rd on a cold greasy road.

Despite having a larger budget this time I'd have had another if they did a hybrid.

If you can  find a 150bhp 4wd that would be good. Or a Skoda Kodiaq?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Honda CRV 2.2 diesel. Back seat on mine came ready to take 3 child seats across the rear. 32" barrels go across the boot, above the wheel arches. My 2013 has just clocked up 52,000, runs great and gives 40+ mpg on a run. I'm on my second, but I am hanging on to this one, it has electric everything and is fast enough, when I need it to be. I have done some semi serious off roading, (especially in the last few months) without getting stuck and passed a stuck Rangey (road tyres and driver error). 

I have been looking at these, but don't know the different between each model/spec, any tips? 

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

I've just done 4 years in a Skoda Superb estate SEL 190bhp Diesel ,VW ish build quality loads of toys. They are massive inside don't compare published figures against competitors I can't fit half the amount in my new RAV4 whatever Toyota say. 400Nm of torque, It would spin the wheels in 3rd on a cold greasy road.

Despite having a larger budget this time I'd have had another if they did a hybrid.

If you can  find a 150bhp 4wd that would be good. Or a Skoda Kodiaq?

The superb is huge inside, had one at work and it drove great with loads of room. Easily have 3 adults in the back with lots of leg room. The boot wasn't lacking. Would be interested to see a 4x4 version as it would do me for my next car, that or the Octavia scout. 

Those xc70s do look lovely and the Audi allroads what would they be like during a shoot day I wonder and I'd be upset about getting in all wet and with filthy wellies going between drives.   I really do like the look of them though and if I decide to go down to one car they will be what I look at I think I'm still not sure whether I want to keep my car for work and buy an additional one or go down to one car.  🤔🤔

On 09/01/2020 at 11:18, mattyg1086 said:

Those xc70s do look lovely and the Audi allroads what would they be like during a shoot day I wonder and I'd be upset about getting in all wet and with filthy wellies going between drives.   I really do like the look of them though and if I decide to go down to one car they will be what I look at I think I'm still not sure whether I want to keep my car for work and buy an additional one or go down to one car.  🤔🤔

How often do you go on a shoot day  vs racking up commute miles? How much are you looking to spend?

16 hours ago, Rupert said:

How often do you go on a shoot day  vs racking up commute miles? How much are you looking to spend?

So shoot days are every other Saturday in the season and I shoot with my brother also.  And fish and camp.  So mostly it will be up and down the motorway if I go down to one car if not I will keep my car for work and spend 3-4k on a 4x4 or truck or something like that to do all the outdoorsy stuff and was looking at shotguns because I really want a range rover but I can't be dealing with all the breakdowns that I have been told they suffer with