Smk co2 review

Sean stoke

Hi all 

I am thinking of buying  a buget air riffle as I have just landed my 1st permission and dont want to keep using a shot gun every where I go .

The last air riffle i owned was a stoeger atac s2 and to quite honest that's the reason i never touched a air riffle again and it fired every where regardless of what sight was use or zeroed . 

I am only after something for about 2-300 quid as I dont no a great deal about tuning and everything els . 

Has any one ever owned any if the smk Co2 range and has any reviews please . 

Thank for reading 

I suppose it depends on what you want it for and how much you'd use it. My experience of co2 rifles is not all that great.  I found them lacking a but of poke but for casual use it may suit your needs. 

For 2-300 You'd get a nice hw99s and having had one I can recommend another in a heart beat. My preference would be for a .22 as in the 99 it appears to shoot better for some reason or other.

15 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I suppose it depends on what you want it for and how much you'd use it. My experience of co2 rifles is not all that great.  I found them lacking a but of poke but for casual use it may suit your needs. 

For 2-300 You'd get a nice hw99s and having had one I can recommend another in a heart beat. My preference would be for a .22 as in the 99 it appears to shoot better for some reason or other.

Thanks for the reply  

I want it for rabbit and rats cheers for the recommendation inwill take a look into the hw99s . Sorry to sound thick but is there much difference between a .177 or a .22 

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would go for the HW 99 S in 22. £300?£325 should get one plus silencer and reasonable scope like a Deben Hawke suitable for a springer and good warranty

Thanks for the reply i will look into this as you're the 2nd person to recommend the hw99s . Are they accurate and with you mentioning silencer is the silencer good on those . 

Thank you 

21 minutes ago, Sean stoke said:

Thanks for the reply  

I want it for rabbit and rats cheers for the recommendation inwill take a look into the hw99s . Sorry to sound thick but is there much difference between a .177 or a .22 

Thanks for the reply i will look into this as you're the 2nd person to recommend the hw99s . Are they accurate and with you mentioning silencer is the silencer good on those . 

Thank you 

hello, Co2 is not ideal in cold weather, you could get a cheap PCP and hand pump for about £300 but then scope and silencer, i used a HW 95 K, the 99 S silencer fits over the front sight and keeps the sound down to an acceptable level, as gingercat mentioned lots of people shoot with a 99 S, new only £200ish

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hi  sean .yes the stoegers are pap and im not suprised you were put off .

Co2 guns are ok but they have a constant cost (the co2 capsuals).

And really tend to suffer from temperature fluctuations. So you would be constantly rezeroing as the year goes on or even from mid day to evening ..

For rats at around 15  yds thats not too much of an issue but for  longe rabbits your really gonna struggle .

Personally id look for a nice sh pcp set up .a single shot will be perfectly fine and a cheap or s/h .pump and your set .

Probably  a bsa ultra  scorpion or airarms s200 s400 

A decent springer is also a viable option and  for that money id look at the hw 99 bsa lightening. Walther terrus  .new or sh. 

56 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

These are just the first 4 i found on guntrader  and will spank any smk into the ground .add a  pump (easy enough to fill these guns ) and your all set  

Screenshot_20200108-200159.png

Screenshot_20200108-200411.png

Screenshot_20200108-200455.png

Screenshot_20200108-200530.png

Wow brilliant i really appreciate the advice and information you have given to me thank you. 

I will take this on board and by looking at what you have sent there I think I will take a look at the BSA. 22 ultra multishot .

Once again thanks mate 

1 hour ago, Sean stoke said:

Thanks for the reply  

Thank you 

The 99s is as accurate as you can be with a break barrel. I could  do half inch at 35 yards standing and unrested and I'm not the best shot. Yes a pcp is easier to shoot and those groups will tighten somewhat (5p piece sized when rested with my pcp at same distance) but for an informal or casual shooter it saves a lot of faff you get with a pcp. 

18 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

As for calibre  .

Im firmly in the .177 camp for sub 12 .

Especially on rabbits and rats .

If your targeting Pigeons or crows id probably go with the .22  .

Sub 12 I'd lean towards 177 regardless with the exception of the hw99 which, for whatever reason, is fantastic in 22 and better than it's 177 counterpart

That said my pcp is 22 but only because they didn't have a 177 in the shop that very second I wanted one and I can't be bothered to change it given it's accuracy and shot count. 

I use one for 2 purposes rats around the chicken coop and teaching my 4 year old to shoot.  It’s fine does what it does cheap and cheerful.  

my son has a BSA Ultra SE JSR running at 12 Ft lbs much better gun consistent reliable cost over 3 times the qb78.  

If the QB 78 gives up I’ll not replace it the BSA will suit both very soon.  The basic QB 78 stock is a stick not a stock and I want to find something to replace it with pervious rifles I’ve used an AGS stock but can’t find any.  

• 9 months later...
On 12/01/2020 at 20:01, samadams21 said:

I have had the same as above. 

I have just sold my xs78, I’m so glad I did. 

Bit late have a mate with rat problem around Some rabbit hutches and suggested the QB78/Xs78 co2 bulbs are 50p each? So £1 a load how many decent shots in uk autumn he will likely Be shooting through a kitchen window So shouldn’t get too cold

I have the Smk co2. I forget which model but it has the thumb hole stock. I love it and its the only rifle I reach for now. I did spend a small fortune tuning it but that was the reason I bought it. Out of the box pretty poor but a bit of fiddling and they become very useable. Yes pretty rubbish in very cold weather so unless you enjoy the mechanical customising and tuning. Get a good springer. But for me I wouldn't be without it. 

4 hours ago, HDAV said:

Bit late have a mate with rat problem around Some rabbit hutches and suggested the QB78/Xs78 co2 bulbs are 50p each? So £1 a load how many decent shots in uk autumn he will likely Be shooting through a kitchen window So shouldn’t get too cold

About 50

26 minutes ago, amateur said:

About 50

That’s plenty then

he might enjoy the tuning after buying and sorting the rat problem after all not many things to do at the moment in wales ........... or sell it on again... he asked to borrow my HW95 but I’m not keen really better buys a used co2 and if he enjoys it (hasn’t had one since he was a lad) might get into it 

Edited by HDAV

1 hour ago, HDAV said:

That’s plenty then

he might enjoy the tuning after buying and sorting the rat problem after all not many things to do at the moment in wales ........... or sell it on again... he asked to borrow my HW95 but I’m not keen really better buys a used co2 and if he enjoys it (hasn’t had one since he was a lad) might get into it 

They are noisy, though, so he will need a moderator. They aren't difficult to strip down and plenty of online stuff on improving the action and getting the power up to nearer 11ftlbs.