Advice on Rape!

Naeem

Hi All,

We are planning to go on Rape tomorrow. Has anyone had a good day on Rape yet in late December or this week in Jan? The weather looks good tomorrow in Northampton where we shoot, gentle breeze and sunny/clearer day . The farmer has reported that a big flock is around and sits on the rape. But I'm not sure a big flock is a good sign as they will drift away after a couple of shots. 

Any expert advice will be highly appreciated.

I will indeed report back on how it goes tomorrow. 

Edited by Naeem

Well whatever happens it’s got to be better than been stuck in the house or worse still at work. The signs look ok  so go and walk them off see what happens, if they start to drift back your in with a chance, but as you probably know with pigeons it’s anyones best guess. Good luck hope you have a red letter day.

I went out around 22nd December, pushed about 200 birds off rape/barley stubble before setting up. Between 10am and 12-ish they came in from the direction they were pushed, in small groups. A few came from the opposite directions but not many.

It was a dull day with not much (southerly) wind and it was all over by 12.30 If we had had a clear day with a breeze it would probably have lasted a bit longer. My bag was 36 and a mate shot 24 a mile away.

Have a good day

1 hour ago, martinj said:

I went out around 22nd December, pushed about 200 birds off rape/barley stubble before setting up. Between 10am and 12-ish they came in from the direction they were pushed, in small groups. A few came from the opposite directions but not many.

It was a dull day with not much (southerly) wind and it was all over by 12.30 If we had had a clear day with a breeze it would probably have lasted a bit longer. My bag was 36 and a mate shot 24 a mile away.

Have a good day

This gives me a bit more confidence. Thank you for the post.