Any idea who made these

mellors

Just had a walk up to the shed, one is a die cast version , no name. The other is plastic and has the following on it:-

East Anglian Shooting Products

Norwich , England

We used to use four flappers on pulleys and they worked very well, the only problem was the dog running through the lines.That was thirty plus years ago 

Looks like it could be a home made copy of the 'Semark'. I have an original WAGBI/Semark and if I could put 'pics' on here, I would    !

It should also have a rubber band fitted between the 2 arms (near the bends), this returns the wings to a folded position when in use.

Edited by Westley

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

not as good as the ones i used to make ...eh ?

We once had to clear out some big Pine cabinets that had been in one of the spare rooms up the hall , these were being sold to one of the furniture dealers who had a unit on the estate , the first one had a load of old papers and junk and really of very little value , the second one was like a collector of shooting bits and pieces aladdin's cave , there was a brand new full size Pigeon decoy with wings that went up and down on a spring system and another spring on its back that you used to hang it up , and some old duck decoys that had never been used and still in the bags they came in 

I asked a chap at one of the game fairs who collect these sort of things and he recon at the time the Pigeon set up in that condition would have been over a £100 , I was coming up for retirement and I hinted I would love that decoy as a retirement present but I heard my boss at the time wanted to keep it for his grand children to play with , so I never got it , but I did get a nice painting done of one of my Labs I had at the time , and as far as I know they have still got it .

about 20 years ago i was down at the acle sale room and saw a weird rusty contraption....which facinated me.........and worked out that it was one of the very first clay pigeon traps.....well ............before that....it looked like a very professional blacksmith made machine...and was designed for throwing glass balls with feathers in them......

a lot of soul searching....i could have bought it for pennies.................wish i did now ...:sad1:

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

about 20 years ago i was down at the acle sale room and saw a weird rusty contraption....which facinated me.........and worked out that it was one of the very first clay pigeon traps.....well ............before that....it looked like a very professional blacksmith made machine...and was designed for throwing glass balls with feathers in them......

a lot of soul searching....i could have bought it for pennies.................wish i did now ...

That reminds me of a 'Flog It' television programme last year where someone had brought in one of the glass balls (pre-cursor of the clay pigeon) and the 'expert' Paul Martin told them that they were filled with water and thrown as an early fire extinguisher. What a load of tosh. Wish that I'd been there to put him right.

I had a couple a few years back and sold them for £10 each. They are now very collectible and make up to £100 each.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That reminds me of a 'Flog It' television programme last year where someone had brought in one of the glass balls (pre-cursor of the clay pigeon) and the 'expert' Paul Martin told them that they were filled with water and thrown as an early fire extinguisher. What a load of tosh. Wish that I'd been there to put him right.

I had a couple a few years back and sold them for £10 each. They are now very collectible and make up to £100 each.

OB

hello, interesting how they term Expert on these programmes, OB ,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, interesting how they term Expert on these programmes, OB ,

You’re quite right, that’s why I put the word expert in inverted commas.

What is the definition of expert ?

’Ex’ a has been

and ‘spurt’ a drip under pressure.

OB

32 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

i seem to remember they did have something like that for putting out fires but woudnt swear on it

I've just googled that and you're quite right that there were large glass balls filled with a red liquid used to put out fires that were slightly pear shaped and retained in a wall bracket, but they were nothing like the mainly blue round glass balls sometimes filled with feathers to simulate a pigeon. 

I suppose under the circumstances that Paul Martin could be forgiven for making the mistake that he did.

OB