Laptop / DVD player

steve_b_wales

Just now, henry d said:

Do both have HDMI ports? That's the way we have used to connect laptops and other devices

Yes, I think so, but the laptop I was thinking of has the ports either side of it, and the leads are not long enough. I could, I suppose, try and extend the two leads on the dvd player (?)

Steve are you talking about using two USB ports Then going to the one port?

you need to find out the power needed to run DVD player splitting it down to one usb may not have the power needed to run

Use this to extend usb cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8m-USB-2-0-Extension-Cable-Lead-A-Male-to-Female-2m/371542711650?epid=1360259859&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5681abdd62:g:JncAAOSwXSZdsW4v

48 minutes ago, henry d said:

USB female to female connector, £1-80 on eBay. Is that what you are after? (Phone isn't copying for some reason)

Yes, I have seen them on sale in many places - thanks.

32 minutes ago, martyn2233 said:

Steve are you talking about using two USB ports Then going to the one port?

you need to find out the power needed to run DVD player splitting it down to one usb may not have the power needed to run

Use this to extend usb cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8m-USB-2-0-Extension-Cable-Lead-A-Male-to-Female-2m/371542711650?epid=1360259859&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5681abdd62:g:JncAAOSwXSZdsW4v

All I know is that with my portable DVD player, I used to plug the two leads into two USB ports, it didn't matter which went where. I did intend buying a Chromebook, but then found out that a portable DVD player would not work with it. Thanks for the link to extend the cables.

18 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, I have seen them on sale in many places - thanks.

All I know is that with my portable DVD player, I used to plug the two leads into two USB ports, it didn't matter which went where. I did intend buying a Chromebook, but then found out that a portable DVD player would not work with it. Thanks for the link to extend the cables.

Usually you need 2 ports to prove enough current to the device, probably just shy of 1A (used to be 500mA limit per port for high power devices). The splitter will have one full USB connector and one will just be for power. You could plug the power connector into another supply, like a mains USB adapter, or just extend as you need.

Check the ports on the laptop you want though, some have ports dedicated to charging etc and I've seen them go as high as 1.5A, so one connector would be fine.

My Samsung DVD drive runs at .94A on one port on my old Lenovo T440p without a problem, just checked it on the ammeter